91 Pontiac Sunbird LE 2.0 Idle issues

Old 06-05-07, 08:57 PM
91 Pontiac Sunbird LE 2.0 Idle issues

I've managed to get the car to the point of starting as long as I feed it gas, Unfortunatly this makes it impossible to get out of park since its an automatic. A friend of mine suggested it was the idle, but I can't find the chilton manual to find out where it is to change it. I've checked my locla library to no avail, so now I'm hoping someone out there has some idea what i have to do to turn the idle up.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-07, 04:51 AM
Your idle is controlled by an Idle Air Control valve. It is located to bypass air around the throttle plates.

Old 06-06-07, 11:41 AM
Group Moderator
In addition to the IAC that formula1 describes some vehicles do have a small set screw that can be adjusted to change the throttle stop (wife's Camry has one); not sure if yours would have one. You might try removing the ductwork to the intake where the throttle plate is. Prop the throttle full open (engine off) or have someone step on the gas pedal. Then take an old toothbrush and some carb cleaner and scrub both sides of the plate and the surrounding throat of the intake. Finish with a good blast of cleaner. Reassemble ductwork and try it. If no better possible bad IAC or a clogged passage for the IAC.

Old 06-07-07, 03:18 PM
cool much appriciated, now i have but one question...the ductwork is....the air filter parts? or what? complete idiot trying to fix cars here, fair warning..my forte is comptuers lol

Old 06-07-07, 03:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yes, the "ductwork" or more properly, the intake, is where the air filter is.

Old 06-07-07, 06:04 PM
Group Moderator
Specifically the large "hose" that runs from the air filter housing (big square black plastic thingee) to the intake itself. Should be hose clamps on each end. Might also have to push aside or disconnect other small items to get enough clearance.