Oxygen sensor

Old 06-06-07, 04:49 AM
Oxygen sensor

I have a 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport (62,400 miles) and was told by the mechanic that I needed an oxygen sensor. He said the sensor and labor would be about $200 + $97 for the initial diagnostics. Does this seem like a fair price? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-07, 05:32 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That sounds reasonable. Figure about $60-100 for the part, and about $60-80/hr labor costs.

If you choose this mechanic, ask him if he will waive the diagnostic fee if he does the repair.

So, it costed you $97 for him to hook up a scanner tool to your vehicle which can be done free at Autozone?

That is a pretty high diagnostic fee.

Old 06-06-07, 10:07 AM
if it's actually going to fix the problem in your car I think is fair, scanning at
auto zone or checkers is free but it's very generic and vague, so if he found the one oxygen sensor at fault ( usually there's more than one in a vehicle ) again I think is reasonable.

Old 06-06-07, 10:53 AM
why?

why was the mechanic looking at the car in the first place?

what kind of problems did you have?

was your CEL on?

the part is probably about $50 at autozone and takes about 5 minutes to put on. if you want to hire someone to do it, the price is as expected.

Old 06-06-07, 11:10 AM
Group Moderator
Did a quick check and peabees was a little optimistic, but not by much. Looks like about $60-75 for the part, aftermarket. If you are going to spend $200 PLUS a diagnostic fee, I would expect the part to come from the Jeep/Chrysler dealer and that you're problably having the work done at a dealerhship. Even at that, as pointed out, it's a very quick job to replace it; a $200 bill should be enough to cover diagnostic, parts and labor

Search this Thread