Defrosting air conditioner

Old 06-07-07, 09:43 PM
Defrosting air conditioner

I have a 1996 Mazda B2300. The air conditioner blows cold air but only thru the defrost vents. It appears that the damper that changes the air discharge from defrost to front vents does not operate. Is this an electrical or vacum problem.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-07, 02:04 AM
check this

It might be a mechanical problem. with truck off and in a quiet place move switch what do you hear? The Jap trucks like to keep it simple and many are run with a cable or wire setup.

Old 06-08-07, 05:37 AM
Do you hear any vacuum action (hissing) when operating the controls? When there is no vacuum, the system defaults to defrost mode for safety reasons.

Old 06-08-07, 03:09 PM
I did this

OK I have more time to explain a way to find out how it works, First it is either vaccum,electrical or mechanical. If it has a slide control it is most likley a mecanical hooked to a cable that moves a door. try the following steps engine off key on, in a quiet area with all door chimes etc off. Move the control you will hear either a whirrr of a electric moter or a hiss of a vaccum pot moving the door or if a cable you will feel the resistance of the cable and hear it moving.
When I do it in my pickup I hear the moter behind the glove box and mine is a turn switch. My old Datsun had a cable on a slide switch. My Ford has a vaccum that will move the door untill I step on the brake exausting the air from the tank.

Old 06-09-07, 09:36 PM
Vacuum

I got to looking closer and found a little vacuum hose that was broken. The hose comes from the intake manifold and goes into a ball under the air filter. From there it goes thru the firewall were the a/c is mounted. I fixed the hose and it works right. I don't know if it is just vacuum or electric over vacuum.
Thanks for all your input.

Kim