Replacing "cyclops" brake light on Grand Am

Old 06-09-07, 03:38 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing "cyclops" brake light on Grand Am

Trying to change a bad cyclops brake light in a 97 Grand Am, and I see the plastic housing around the thing doesn't have any screws. Doesn't just pop off, either.

Owner's manual says to stick a flat screwdriver in each side about an inch from the front edge and push, which apparently releases a catch. But no luck so far--blade hasn't hit a catch. And the edge is held so tightly that I can't see any details under the housing that would let me crack it.

So at this point I'm feeling *really* dumb, being unable to get into a 50-cent piece of plastic. Anybody know the secret? Thanks!

Old 06-09-07, 07:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Try a smaller putty knife. It maybe easier to release the plastic tabs then a screwdriver.

Old 06-10-07, 08:15 PM
S
Thanks Mark--I'll try the putty-knife approach. So was I right in guessing that the tabs are about an inch aft of the front edge of the housing?

BTW, I'm in okc too--far n.w.

Old 06-11-07, 05:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Another Okie in the house. hooah!

Actually I'm not an Okie, but was just stationed heer at Tinker.

Also, if the putty knife don't work, see if you can see these tabs from in the trunk are if possible. You might be able to release them from there as well.

Good luck!

Old 06-12-07, 07:12 AM
S
Good idea but you can't see the tabs from the trunk since the light isn't on the rear deck--it's mounted at the top of the rear window, on the edge of the headliner. And you can't see anything useful thru the rear window because the joint line is up in the 'dotted zone' near the window edge. It's muy frustrating!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: