mighty oil filter?

Old 06-11-07, 04:43 PM
mighty oil filter?

Has anyone heard of this brand? I got my oil changed today and this is what they use. Not so sure if I have a warm fuzzy feeling about a mighty oil filter.
My wife has one in her car also same place changed it.
The guy said it was a good filter and he would match it with any name brand filters. He said they are only sold to lube shops.
I did a google search but found very little.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-07, 04:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I hasve never heard of them, but from Google searching, Mighty sounds like a pretty decent quality filter.

http://www.mightyautoparts.com/products/products_underhood.html

I don't think you will have any problems.

If they were a junk brand, these Quick Lube places would be getting sued left and right.

Old 06-11-07, 06:04 PM
I guess so

Yea that is one site I saw also but that is the manafacture so you know they are going to toot there own horn. Just wondering if any real world people have used them. Maybe I am worried for nothing. I asked for a diffreant brand filter and he said thats all he uses. He has been around many many years and is not a chain type quick lube so I guess it is ok.

Old 06-11-07, 06:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Since these filters are sold to lube joints, most people probably have never heard of them. Most people getting their oil changed, don't even care what goes in.

Old 06-12-07, 08:01 AM
The filters should have been tested using SAE standard tests
The shop can get these results from the maker, if they were tested
If they weren't tested, or the shop can't get the numbers (meaning they weren't tested, as that is the only reason they couldn't get them), I'd be suspicious

The tests are the SAE J806 for single pass
SAE J806 amended for multi pass
Or the best one, SAE J1858, provides both particle counting and gravimetric measurement to measure filter capacity and efficiency

The information on the Mighty web site is way too limited to make any sort of conclusion
They don't even mention if they use paper or plastic drain back valves or steel bypass valves...

That's not to say they are bad
In fact, you'd think that if their target customers are professionals, they can save the money used for advertising (to consumers who don't understand drain back valve material difference anyway) and put it into the product

Old 06-15-07, 10:28 PM
Talking

is that the only brand the shop carry's? ask for a stp or fram or something and see what they say. seems like they would have a choice. I always change my own. cause I'm cheap.

Old 06-16-07, 12:03 AM
I asked

Its the only one they have I asked. I used to change my own when younger but now I am older with more money and not fond of laying on my back in 90 degree 80 percent humidity days here in Texas.
So I now farm it out and support the economy. I also like reading the car and driver books in the little waiting room with A/C.

Old 06-16-07, 11:36 AM
Mighty's been around since Jesus was a child..........They used to go from shop to shop and supply spark plugs, air, fuel and oil filters........Points and condensors(?????????????.............dating myself huh????)Pcv's etc..........Fairly good stuff from the experience I had with them.......besides, Most of the time, the oil filter is MADE by Wix, Purolator, or Fram .......and the appropriate label affixed

Search this Thread