Engine Flooding Problem

Old 06-15-07, 09:23 AM
Engine Flooding Problem

I have a 1985 Ford Crown Victoria with a 5.0 engine EFI (Throttle Body Injectors) and is has a flooding problem when idling and it is getting really bad gas mileage, (yes I know, it is not real good at it's best but it is a really a nice clean car), and I can' seem to figure out what is wrong, I have replaced the choke spring, and the choke pull off, I am wondering of the injectors are bad, (there are two) or if there is a module on it somewhere that might need replacing. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-07, 02:37 PM
Red face

could possibly be one of the sensors on the throttle body itself. TPS (throttle position sensor) , or one of the others. may be a oxygen sensor. but normally u get a check engine light. Is the light on? U might have to have it hooked up to a machine to find out which one it is. Trial and error can get expensive on those sensors. And if your like me its always the last thing I try. oxygen sensors are like 50-60 bucks and tps are about the same. Thats what I hate about efi. My dakota a 93 has the mpfi (multi point fuel enjection) and the throttle body has like 3-4 sensors on it. and it is set to run a bit rich from the factory for some reason. maybe someone else will be more up to date on your problem cause I'm just guessing.

Old 06-15-07, 02:45 PM
start by checking codes in the computer.

Old 06-15-07, 04:45 PM
Flooding Problem

No ecm lights are coming on, I am pretty handy with older cars, but I can't figure out what the problem is with this one, we had a car just like this one that got wrecked and then stolen, if you can believe that, same model, engine, etc and it got pretty good gas mileage, I can't afford to take it to Ford, for repair, car being as old as it is, not worth putting a lot of money in it. Thanks

Old 06-15-07, 09:52 PM
Smile

I hear that. dealer would kill ya. know anybody that has a shop or someone that has a way to check for codes? I'm the same way about newer stuff. Too much to go wrong. have you tried to disconnect the battery cables let it sit for a few and then reconnect? it may reset the computer. long shot, but never hurts to try. Have you looked to see if there is a way to check codes without a machine or handheld? my dakota has a built in code checker. If I turn the ignition to on and back off 5 times it will flash out the codes from a light on the instument panel. And then I look up the code in the book. I didn't even know that until I was just looking through the haynes book. pretty cool the way they did that. I have a 79 351w in my shed I built for a mustang that I ended up parting out cause it was too ratted out. But I kept the motor. I did everything except the machine work, but I wouldn't know where to begin with a new one. I have a 06 cobalt that u can't even see the motor more less work on it. Man I miss the good ole days.

Old 06-16-07, 07:49 AM
I have a OBDII with the Can but it will not work on this one, 96 and newer. anyway I don' think it is a module. I am leaning toward one or more bad injectors, or what ever controls the amount of fuel going to the injectors.

Old 06-16-07, 09:10 AM
Group Moderator
Not too long ago we had a member with similar problems on an older car. After some discussion and suggestions he changed out the O2 sensor and got an immediate fix. Not a guarantee by any means, but if your O2 sensor is pretty old might be worth a shot and I think yours could be had for under $40.

Old 06-16-07, 09:21 AM
Now That's A Thought!!!! Thanks

Old 06-16-07, 11:24 AM
You mention choke spring and choke pull off................and then injectors?????...........if it's a fuel inlected vehicle of that era, as tow says........check the O2's ........ALSO Check the coolant temp sensor as a false temp reading will also make an injected car go nuts........ALSO.....These cars were good for MAP sensor problems, and THAT would have a bad effect on fuel delivery.............

NOW........If it's one of those Variable Venturi "carbeuretors".......Kinda a stop gap between true carbs and fuel injection..........I'd be looking for a manifold and a Holley 650........They used to make a kit to rid yourself of the VV but I'm sure it's gone the way of the dinosaur.....

Old 06-16-07, 12:48 PM
you can read codes on the vehicle with a voltmeter you just have to do a search on reading trouble codes and im sure you will find out how.
flooding at idle only and you think the injectors are bad you might use a voltmeter to sweep the tps as any small glitch will cause the injectors to dump fuel.
the only light these old fords had on the dash was one that would come on for high temp and low oil pressure so dont expect a warning ight when a code is set in the computer.