97 Buick Century window problems

Old 06-18-07, 11:26 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
97 Buick Century window problems

97 Buick Century window stopped working. Replaced driver's side switch. Checked fuses. None of the windows are working. Do I need to rese something? Is there a hidden fuse somewhere?

Thanks,
Brian

Old 06-18-07, 12:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you have checked all your fuses, and all the windows still do not function, then it's gotta be your window regulator. Usually this part is located in the drivers side door panel. Should be a black box with a wire harness going to it.

Old 06-18-07, 01:22 PM
E
Your solution assumes that the switch is working correctly. My thinking is that if the switch is working and providing juice to the regulators then the other windows should work.... maybe I am missing something. I called a dealer and spoke to a tech and he said the BCM could be bad. My gut tells me that there is abother fuse somewhere that I am missing. All I could find was a 30amp "minibreaker" for the power windows and I swapped that with another 30amp minibreaker and still nothing. Not even a click noise at the regulator. I think the whole system isn't getting any juice.

Old 06-18-07, 01:46 PM
E
Saw another article online that says that sometimes when an electrical component is replaced the BCM needs to be reset by disconnecting battery for 5 mins. I am trying this now. I am starting to think that the BCM may be the culprit here. Any input?

Old 06-18-07, 01:48 PM
The regulator in the drivers door controls all the windows.

I highly doubt the BCM is bad. You would have more problems then just the windows if it was failing.

Old 06-18-07, 02:28 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
The power windows are protected by a circuit breaker, usually about 30 amp, not a fuse. It should have power going to it when the ignition switch is in the run position.

The term regulator, when referring to the widows, usually means the sector gear and counter balance spring. It can be driven by a hand crank or by the power window motor. Each window has one.

Old 06-18-07, 02:50 PM
E
When you say regulator you are talking about the motor and assembly that raises and lowers the window correct? If so, how does that control the other doors? It has only 2 wires that go to it. Do you mean the switch? If so, the switch is a new one.

@ goldstar: So I should take a mulittester and check the circuit breaker for the windows?

Also, can anyone confirm that I may need to reset my BCM by disconnection the battery? I thried it once (didn't work) but I am unsure if I waited long enough with the battery disconnected because the radio sataions were still set once I reconnect. I would assume that whatever backup battery is powering the radio stations is also powering the BCM.

Old 06-18-07, 03:20 PM
Strange.

Most cars, in order to reset the modules, you should have the battery disconnect for longer periods of time. For instance, for my Maxima, I need to have battery disconnect for at least 20+ hrs.

I was incorrect about the regulator. Each window should have it's own regulator.

You need to check all the fuses! Also, check power to the switches with a multimeter. If you have no power to the switch, you definetly have a electrical problem.

Old 06-18-07, 04:16 PM
E
Multi meter is broken. Getting new one tomorow. Car is sitting with battery disconnected overnight. Tomorrow's plan of attack:

1. Check to see if computers reset and maybe everything works
2. Check to see if there is power to switch
if yes, Check power @ regulator
if no, Check power @ Fuse

Old 06-19-07, 01:59 PM
E
OK. So I got a new multi-meter. No power @ switch. No power @ fuse. Next step replace BCM or is there a better plan of attack?

Old 06-19-07, 02:51 PM
W
I'd say so............you need to backtrack the wiring to find out why you have no power...........Circuit boards can't handle a great deal of amperage and as such usually control the GROUND side of the circuit.......If there's nothing to ground..........there's nothing to control

Old 06-20-07, 08:40 AM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Prior to replacing the door switch, did the passenger side work?

G.M. usually has several fuse blocks or"convenience centers". May be under the hood, under the instrument panel, behind the kick panel on the passenger side.

Does the car have a safety window lock out to keep kids from messing with them? If so, did it get accidentally set?

Before throwing money at the problem, back track the electrical system until you find out what is blocking the power from getting to the windows.

Old 06-21-07, 06:46 AM
E
Well.... some complicating items:

1. Long before the windws stopped working the child lock switch on the drivers side switch broke. For almost a year the only way to open any windows has been the drivers side switch.

2. Is there another fuse box to check besides the one under the hood and the one on the far right side of the dash (need to open RT door to asscess)

3. When I tested the breaker, I also tested the breaker for the power seats which only seems to register current WHEN THE SWITCH IS ACTIVATED. This makes me wonder if things are wired in such a way that if you get no power @ the circuit breaker then it can still be the switch (or the regulator for that matter)

Thanks guys!

BRian

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: