Jeep overheating

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-07, 01:51 PM
Angry Jeep overheating

I have a 2000 Jeep cherokee. While driving around town w/ the AC on, the temperature shot up and the check engine light came on. I turned off the AC and the temp went down. Looking under the hood I noticed a brown color along the sides of the engine. When I opened up the radiator all the fluid is a rust color. Any ideas? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-07, 02:40 PM
might check the engine oil and transmission fluid to make sure there color looks ok.
but it sounds like a neglected cooling system you might see a radiater shop and have the system flushed but more than likely you will end up having to replace the radiater as its probably restricted but a radiater shop may be able to remove it and repair it.
if you wanted to do it yourself would pickup a thermostat and gasket and new radiater , remove the thermostat and lower hose and flush out the engine really well with water before installing the new parts.

Old 06-23-07, 03:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
When was the last time you opened the radiator cap, so that you'd know if that brown color was sudden or not? Have you been maintaining it with 50/50 anti-freeze coolant, or otherwise know the history of the inside of the radiator?

The warm a/c condensor, when a/c is on, (like a radiator in it's own right) is in front of the radiator and therefore when you run your a/c, the warm air from the condensor is being sucked through the radiator fins. If your cooling system is compromised in any way, the running of the a/c and condensor puts the cooling system over the top, so to speak.

Does the engine get hotter when on the highway or when low speeds around town? Is your radiator fan coming on? And if it comes on, does it come on early enough and stay running until the engine cools down?, or does it keep running once it gets hot?

When (if) the radiator fan comes on, try feeling the air temperature being blown around the perimeter of the fan to determine if it feels equally warm. [Caution: Obviously. No need to get anywhere close to the fan inside the housing!] If it is NOT, and you feel cool sides, that would pretty much clinch the theory of the radiator being plugged (in certain spots, but freer in others).

Old 12-22-08, 03:39 PM
Also, if you do find what caused the problem and fix it. Be careful, the 2000 4.0 ltrs are prone to having cracked heads. The casting # for the problematic heads are 0331.

Link removed

Last edited by HotxxxxxxxOKC; 12-22-08 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Removed link. NOT allowed.
Closed Thread