1997 Nissan Maxima. Will not start sometimes.

Old 06-27-07, 02:17 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
1997 Nissan Maxima. Will not start sometimes.

Hi,
I have a 1997 Nissan Maxima with 110,000 miles. I'm having trouble starting it sometimes. Some days it starts on the first turn and some days on six or seven turns after I started it and turned it off. I never changed the spark plugs or fuel filter or had a fuel injection cleaning. I think I have to replace my muffler and catalytic converter. Are any of these things causing the problem? If you can help thanks a bunch.

Bill

Old 06-27-07, 02:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Very well could be.

Not sure about your generation Maxima, but the fuel filter in mine is integral in the tank and never needs replacement.

I would definetly change out the plugs, but I don't think they would give you the problem you are having.

How does the car perform when it's started and running?

Old 06-27-07, 03:50 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Runs great. It seems when the engine is warm it is hard to start back up.

Old 06-27-07, 04:11 PM
It seems we get these problems during the hotter months.

Typically it's usually a fuel problem, like a clogged fuel filter or failing pump.

Before that, get some MAF cleaner and spray the sensor located in the intake tube behind the air filter.

Old 06-27-07, 04:51 PM
E
There are so many problems that can cause such a thing. Standard car diagnosis methods might be in store to where one quickly rules out basic things and moves on from there to the emmission control devices which in todays cars are numerous and computer monitored and coded.

I helped this woman out once who had such a problem as your yours. One of the things I ended up checking was engine timing, as this is one of those 'basic' things you have to have - just as is unclogged fuel making it's way to injector(s) - or spark - or compression. And that the plugs when pulled look proper color, to rule out various things. I found that at 0 TDC that her rotor was pointing exactly 1/2 way between two plug wire terminals! And that was on a 4 cylinder to where there is greater distance between them, than what there would be on an 8-cylinder.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: