1992 buick 3.8 lesabre

Old 06-26-07, 06:25 PM
Wink 1992 buick 3.8 lesabre

When the car warms up about 12-14 miles it dies and will not start again untill it cools a little then it drives for a few miles and dies over and over almost like it was vapor locking the first day it did it it was a really was day now it does it all the time even cool days cant find any missing shields from the fuel lines. Please help

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-07, 07:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Try and check for proper fuel pressure when it starts warming up. Sounds like a faulty fuel pump.

It also could be a faulty crank sensor. Determine our fuel pressure first.

Old 06-27-07, 08:10 AM
Group Moderator
Ignition module or water temp sender, maybe, although I don't know if water temp signal was critical on the older OBD-1 vehicles.

Wouldn't hurt to check codes; it's DIY on your car:

http://www.troublecodes.net/GM/

Modern fuel-injected cars do not vapor lock, but they do wear out fuel pumps eventually.

Old 07-01-07, 11:03 AM
Thumbs up thanks

thanks, I guess I will replace fuel pump first

Old 07-01-07, 01:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
For what it is worth, my car did the same thing as OP and it was the fuel pump.

Now question to moderators or anyone else who might know. Not everyone (Diy'ers) has tool or know how to take pressure reading [obviously Diy'ers come here to do work themselves and anyone knows they could go to garage and have problem diagnosed and fixed, and hence this forum] but can you get a fairly good idea if it is fuel pump if you say disconnect inlet side of fuel filter to see if fuel comes pumping out? Reason I ask is now that fuel pump is new and good, I had to disconnect fuel filter duing another incident and witnessed how it squirts out (how far it squirts) when being cranked (but not firing/coil disconnected on purpose for test), and am wondering if that visual would make a nice benchmark for me and anyone else to know in future if fuel pump fails (or even a bad harness connection at fuel pump, which also is worth looking into as I hear this mentioned on Satureday morning call-in am radio car shows.

Old 07-02-07, 11:23 AM
Group Moderator
Pretty hard to quantify fuel spurting out of an open line and a difference of a few psi one way or the other (as opposed to a complete failure with "0" psi) can mean the difference bewtween running and not running.

And note to the OP, the fuel pump is not a definite without a pressure test. As some fuel pumps/assemblies can be quite pricey, it's usually best to test first.