91 Mazda B2200 Oil Warning Light

Old 06-26-07, 08:18 PM
91 Mazda B2200 Oil Warning Light

i have a 91 Mazda B2200 pickup truck...2.2 liter engine, with carb...it is just the regular basic pickup truck...it has 168000 miles roughly on it...

i have some problems with burning oil or losing it somewhere from point A to B...no leak spot on driveway, so i don't have a visible leak...i do however, have to put in a quart of oil every month or so...it does have a nasty white smoke on cold mornings at start up that lasts about 10-15 seconds...if i idle for a while in my driveway, i will soon see a build up of black something on the driveway where the exhaust comes out...

now to my problem: i drove aproximately 120 miles yesterday on the interstate highway...i cruised around 70 mph for the entire 1.5 hours...when i exited the interstate and came down the exit ramp to the stop light, my oil light started to flicker...when i stopped at the red light, the oil light still flickered on and off intermittedly...when the light turned green, i proceeded to take my turn and travel about a mile down the road to the hotel...the light did the same thing...

i assumed i was low on oil...i stopped for a while at the hotel and waited a little bit for the oil to settle...the oil level was perfect...it wasn't low at all...

any idea what would cause the oil warning light to come on and off (flicker)???

any ideas would be nice...

thanks...michael

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-07, 08:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sounds like a failed oil pump. The light will only come on if the oil is low, or the oil pump has failed.

DO NOT drive the vehicle if the light is on. Doing so will cause major damage to the motor.

Are you sure this is not a blue colored smoke? White means water/antifreeze being burned.

Blue smoke means oil is leaking into the cylinders and being burned. Both of which is not good.

Old 06-26-07, 08:43 PM
oil pump??

ok...not what i needed to hear...i have to get back home (120 miles back up the interstate)

i failed to mention this...the light was just coming on and off...it never just stayed on...i left it in the parking lot overnight...went out in the morning...checked the oil...oil level was fine...cranked it up...the oil light didn't do anything today...no flicker, didn't come on...drove about 20 miles all together with no oil light...

just curious: and i know that labor rates are different around the country...about how many hours would i expect to change an oil pump if i sent it to a shop???

is that a major repair???

Old 06-26-07, 08:50 PM
There is alot involved.

http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/19/f6/d9/0900823d8019f6d9/repairInfoPages.htm

BUT

I would first drain all the oil, drop the pan, and clean out the filter screen. Sometimes the pan will have sludge in it preventing oil getting to the pump.

If the light starts coming on, on your trip back home, pull over and check the oil level. The point is you don't want to seize the motor.

When I was young, my father let me take his Jaguar out for the night. On the return trip home, the oil light started flashing, I pulled off the interstate, and then threw a rod through the oil pan. Dumping 12qrts of oil on the road. He was not happy. Luckily the motor was replaced while it was under warranty.

Old 06-26-07, 09:14 PM
blue smoke

i guess it would be considered blue smoke...i went through the coolant in oil a year ago with our chevy venture...3 intake gasket and 1 head gasket repairs caused me to sell the lemon...

my b2200 is rock solid when it comes to the coolant system...i never have a fluctuation in the temperature guage...i never see the sign of coolant in the oil either...

my symptoms are mainly around the smoke on start up, using a quart of oil about every month or little less...

it sounds like the oil pump repair is a many hour job...i would be curious how many hours i would actually be charged for...

i am trying to keep this truck as long as i possibly can, so i need it to work...would i be able to look at the spark plugs to diagnose anything??? i have heard people can tell a lot from the spark plug...

i will definitely keep an eye on the oil light before i trek home...i am not crazy about a 120 mile drive with that looming over my head...

would the blue smoke only at start up be a huge problem...it doesn't smoke when i am driving it...just at start up on cold mornings mainly...

Old 06-26-07, 09:17 PM
Typically, if you have oil on your spark plugs, it can mean a few things:

Worn piston rings or cylinder walls

valve stem guides

clogged PCV.

You could change the PCV for starters. A clogged PCV would allow excessive pressure allowing oil to blow into the cylinders.

Old 06-26-07, 09:22 PM
pcv

what exactly is the pcv???

also...where my pcv is on the top of the valve cover, the gasket around the hole is distorted...i can see a small gap between the pcv valve and the gasket...could that be causing any problem???

i will check the pcv...that is an easy fix...

Old 06-26-07, 09:26 PM
Yes, it's mounted on the valve cover.

The PCV valve controls the release of crankcase gases and vapors to the intake manifold.

The valve is like $7 at autozone.

Old 07-12-07, 09:22 AM
update on oil light

i drove home with no problems...the light didn't come on again...in fact, the light hasn't come on since that night when it was flickering on and off...

i can tell you that my engine idles rough though...rough enough that the engine shakes and the gear shift shakes back and forth probably about 3-4 inches during idle...it doesn't shake all the time, but during idle, it will shake off and on...

i do burn oil...i have to put in a quart of oil ever few weeks or so...the tailpipe has black soot around the inside and the edges of the tailpipe...if i idle in a concrete driveway, i will leave a mark on the concrete of black sooty mess...

Old 07-12-07, 09:32 AM
firing order

i was checking the autozone repair manual about firing order...

according to the autozone repair manual, my spark plug wires are not on correctly...they come from the distributor and go to a different spark plug than what the autozone repair manual illustration suggests...i don't see a key on the distributor cap that says which one goes to each spark plug...

how do i know the spark plug wires are in the correct order??? i have the 2.2 L with carb

http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/19/f4/8e/0900823d8019f48e/repairInfoPages.htm

Old 07-13-07, 04:32 AM
Group Moderator
Rotate the engine until top dead center (TDC) is indicated on the crank pulley. The rotor will then be pointing towards the #1 cylinder, BUT it can be 180 degrees off because of The Way Things Work. So, the proper way to check is to remove the valve cover and watch the valves as you slowly rotate the engine. When you see the intake valve open and then close (signaling the compression stroke coming up) when the TDC mark lines up next, the rotor should be pointing towards the #1 terminal in the distributor cap.

1-3-4-2 I think is fairly common on 4 cyl Toys. Is your order different, like 1-4-3-2 or something, or is it 1-3-4-2 but you think the position is wrong?

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 07-13-07 at 04:36 AM. Reason: Can't spell.
Old 07-13-07, 05:07 AM
Firing order on a 4 cyl???............Can only be 1-3-4-2 .or 1-2-4-3........as both outer pistons (1-4) come up at the same time as do the 2 center pistons (2-3)........
Oil Pressure light???....First step is to verify the light is working properly by using a manual gauge........
IF the pressure is indeed low, like Mark said, an oil pump and pick up screen are a given.........BUT ............while the pan is down on this mega-mile engine, it would serve you well to plastigauge all the bearing clearances..rods and mains............The best oil pump can't overcome excessive tolerances at the crankshaft

Old 07-13-07, 09:54 AM
mechanic

i called a local mechanic here to set up a tune up...in that, i was asking some questions about the problems...

i asked him about the firing order and that i didn't think mine was correct according to what i saw on the autozone online repair manual...i evened found it in my owners manual in the back...1-3-4-2...

he told me that all 4 cylinders firing order is 1-4-3-2...now i am concerned about taking it to him...

any thoughts...