1996 toyota camry

Old 06-30-07, 09:34 AM
1996 toyota camry

I have a 1996 camry 2.2 automatic, this morning when I took off the transmission shifted erratic and very hard then slipped into drive. No previous problems with the transmission. No warning signs seems to have happened all at once.Dip stick shows full and doesn't appear to be burn't' any suggestions Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-07, 11:09 AM
Group Moderator
That's a pretty reliable tranny in your Camry; my wife's previous Camry ('95) was still going strong at 175,000 miles. The only tranny work I ever had to do (other than fluid changes) was a vehicle speed sensor (vss) and the shift solenoids (one failed, replaced both; I think this was at about 150,000 miles).

You might start with a visit to your local AutoZone and have them scan for codes to see if anything comes up. You've been servicing the tranny regularly?

Old 06-30-07, 11:16 AM
is their a way to test the soleniods. and what are the symtoms. my camry just turned 152,000 will they show up with a code reader. thanks

Old 06-30-07, 06:44 PM
Just to keep everybody updated. I took the car to auto zone and it showed no codes, but seemed to get better the more I drove it. I took it out on the highway and turn the overdrive off and on a couple of times and now the transmission shifts like it always did nice and smooth. I guess the overdive soleniod was sticking and not closing all the way. Alls well.
Thanks for the help

Search this Thread