electrical problem?

Old 07-01-07, 09:45 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
electrical problem?

I have a 2002 Chevy Venture with a 3.4L engine I believe. It is fully loaded with front and rear ac. It has 63K on it. Strangest thing happened. We drove it about 12 miles to an event yesterday during the daytime and no problems occurred. When we drove back home in the evening when it was dark, we noticed probably about 8-10 times over the 12 miles that the headlights blinked quickly ( they didn't go completely out they just blinked very very quickly) kind of like in your house when a lamp is on and someone turns an appliance on you get a quick dimming of the light and then it's back to normal. We also noticed it on the interior lights when they were on at the same time once. didn't notice it on any of the dashboard lights though. So when we got home I let it sit for about 5 minutes , did a visual on the battery connections which look okay from what I can see and also wiggled the alternator connectors a little bit. I then took it out for another drive for about 10 minutes and another 4-5 miles. This time I didn't see anything and I had all the lights on plus accessories( defrosters) and a/c. Any idea what this could be. Thanks for the help.

Old 07-02-07, 05:36 AM
C
Remove your headlight switch and look for any burnt terminals. Most likely you have a faulty headlight switch!

Old 07-02-07, 08:52 AM
J
This vehicle has the sensor on the dash that turns the headlights on and off automatically when it starts to get dark. We never use the actual switch that turns the lights on manually. Do you still think this switch could be at fault? I am assuming this doesn't seem to be a bad alternator or battery? I don't want to get stranded somewhere.

Old 07-02-07, 09:16 AM
C
have you tested your alternator? do you have a multimeter? if so turn your volt meter on while the car is running. put the black lead from your meter on the negative terminal and the red lead of your meter on the positive terminal.With the car running you should be reading 14.0 - 14.6 volts. Then turn on your wipers, radio, lights and see if the alternator can hold that output voltage under that load! If so the alternators good, then you want to load test your battery if you dont have the equipment for this the big box auto parts stores do them for free. If this is good then you need to direct your attention to the lighting electrical. I would assume this vehicle still has a headlamp switch, regardless of the auto lights correct? most manufactures still run the wiring through this switch. You should still pull it out and inspect it for burnt terminals!

Old 07-02-07, 07:50 PM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
elictrical problem

Does this problem show up at low speed or at cruising speed? I had an alt that did this but only at higher speed. Tests at idle showed all right, tests on a bench tester showed all right. Replaced unit and problem was gone. RW

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: