Old 07-02-07, 07:59 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
engine or exhust?

i know i post alot about my car so i hope i have not bugged any body. but
This one irritates me.

91 chevy corsica 3.1 MTFI

When I give the car gas, (full throtle usually does it) i hear this (almost like a high pitch squeal or the sound of a super charger) noise. I bent over and out the door as i was stepping on the gas and it sounds like it is coming from the exhust.

The cars has alot of air being forced out of the tail pipe. Not to mention the car is way over due for an oil change

Could this be a bad bearing in the engine or the cat is bad? The cat is all broken up inside. I know this because when i start the car up the loudest noise is coming from the cat.

Last edited by GTO101; 07-02-07 at 08:07 PM. Reason: car model
Old 07-02-07, 08:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Bearings in the motor??!?!

Whenever you have the pedal on the floor, the engine is drawing alot of air in. This noise might be coming from the intake.

Start engine, pop hood, and rotate the throttle body cable so you can hear where the sound is coming from while over the engine.

Old 07-02-07, 08:11 PM
G
i thought it might be that to so i tried it and could not hear it. that might be because i was now able to pull on the throtle cable all the way (tight area) i could try tommarow being so late now

Old 07-03-07, 02:20 PM
G
i did try it again like you said and it was not that noticeable being above the engine as it was being inside the car. Yester day i took the air filter and the cover off and tried it, there was no difference.

Old 07-06-07, 08:32 AM
G
ok never mind about that noise because i beleave it is coming from the exhust. There isnothing like answer your own question.

Ok when i took the air filter off and started the car and started to pull on the throttle cable right by engine. The sound of the engine was awsome.

My question is will a K&N air filter keep that sound or are those just for looks and a lil performance?

Last edited by GTO101; 07-06-07 at 08:36 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-06-07, 08:37 AM
A OEM K&N will not produce that sound. The only way of keeping that throaty sound is to install a cold air intake.

Old 07-06-07, 08:42 AM
G
ok thanks is there any other purpose for a cold air intake?

Old 07-06-07, 08:45 AM
G
Never mind i will do some research on that one myself

Old 07-06-07, 08:54 AM
I should make a correction.

Most intakes you see for sale are labeled "cold air" but in actualality, they are warm air intakes.

True cold air intakes take the incoming cooler air from usually the wheel well area or under the bumper.

Most typical intakes are located just aft of the radiator area and sucking in the hot/warm air.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: