Is there a REAL benefit for rebalancing old tires?

Old 07-16-07, 05:05 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is there a REAL benefit for rebalancing old tires?

I want to know this once and for all: owner's manual says "tire rotation," but I have been getting "tire rotation and balancing" I can see there is nothing to lose. But does it have real benefit? If I rephrase the question, what do I lose if I get the tire balanced new and never rebalanced afterwards? Thanks.

Old 07-16-07, 05:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Well, I've never had my tires rebalanced at a later date unless I felt some kind of vibration.

Over the years, some wheels may lose their weights and need rebalancing, but if you lose a weight, you most likely have vibrations.

I would not pay the extra money to have them rebalance if I had no signs of a missing weight.

Old 07-16-07, 06:12 PM
P
So buying lifetime balancing with tire is a preventive maintenance, that is, to prevent occasional loss of weight. Thank you for answering the question that's been on my mind for years.

Old 07-16-07, 06:34 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
I think it goes back to the old bias ply tire days. Often they would need rebalancing once or twice during their tread life. On modern day tires unless a wheel weight falls off - not likely on a passenger car or truck that doesn't leave the pavement, they shouldn't need rebalancing for the life of the tread.

Old 07-16-07, 08:19 PM
I agree. I wouldn't spend the money.

If a weight does happen to fall off, it usually only costs $5-10 to get it rebalanced.

Old 07-17-07, 09:09 AM
P
Thank you for the explanation. I have another question. Tire rotation. According to the online article I read, front tires (on front wheel drive cars) wear more than the rear ones. Tire rotation evens out the wear.

This doesn't make much sense. I don't have to buy 4 tires at the same time. I can just replace the front tires twice as often as the rear. Is there anything else? Like front tires wear mostly on the left edge and rear ones on the right? I am making it up, but you know what I mean.

Thank you.

Old 07-17-07, 09:45 AM
Yes, the drive tires will wear faster because they are applying the force and spin. I usually rotate my tires every 4k-6k miles. If the tires are not wearing evenly it is usually a sign of under/over inflated tires or lack of rotation.

It is imperative you check air pressure once a month or so to have long lasting tires.

If tire pressures are ok and you have uneven wear, you may have a alignment/camber problem which needs to be addressed.

Old 07-17-07, 10:03 AM
Also if it's fwd vehicle and you don't rotate the tires if the toe is out in the rear the tires will wear funny. We used to call it alligatored and will cause a vibration type of noise that sounds like a bad bearing. If that happens the tires are pretty much junk even if they still have good tread.

Old 07-17-07, 12:15 PM
P
Thank you for the explanations. I have 5 cars in my family and taking them to a tire shop every 5,6, or 7k miles for rotation and rebalancing is more than a chore. I was hoping for the answer that neither is necessary. Now you convinced me that I must continue ........at least, the rotation.

Thanks again.

Old 07-17-07, 12:30 PM
Smart move If you buy tires from a place with lifetime balancing and rotation
included.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: