93 Dodge Spirit Stalling Issues

Old 07-17-07, 11:09 AM
93 Dodge Spirit Stalling Issues

Well the title speaks for itself. It stalls at slow speeds, like if I'm parking or backing in somewhere. It doesn't do it a lot, but it does it enough to annoy me, and I want to try and fix the problem. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-07, 03:26 PM
Still lookin for any and all help....

Old 07-18-07, 03:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I think I know why you have not got a response yet. The sky is almost the limit as to what could cause something like this. It could be anything from almost any basic engine function, to that including the wide array of emmision control devices.

I saw your post earlier when I was posting to others and thought about what "I" would do if this happened to me, while out on the road. As much as I know about the basic operation of car engines, I'd probably get a little unnerved, knowing that this would not be some simple 10 minute solve, more than likely.

With todays complex cars, I'd advise in investing in a Haynes manual as they will include for your car (for sure) about all the basics and also cover every emmissions device and show what they look like and where they are. It also lists engine code numbers and your car should have that feature that allows you to turn on your key to on, then off, then on again, then off again, then leave it on - and count the blinking sequences that literally blink out the code and you read what number it is and what could be wrong in the manual.

How is your idling speed? (What does your tach say?, in park and when you put car in drive with foot onthe brake?)

At least this is a start of a dialogue.

Old 07-18-07, 04:12 PM
Same here, that's like saying the light doesn't go on. Is there electricity, is the bulb burnt out, is the switch broken, is the wire cut, has the world ended and no one told you, etc...

Haynes manual is a good place to start as it will give basic troubleshooting steps you can follow and then post a question once you've gotten some more info.

Good luck!

Old 07-18-07, 05:02 PM
Can you retrieve, or do you know how to retrieve any trouble codes?
I'm guessing 2.5L or 2.2L with throttle body injection?
Have you tried any reputable fuel system cleaner in the tank?

Old 07-19-07, 08:02 AM
Thanks for all the advice and everything. To be totally honest, I know nothing about the intricacies of cars, other than driving them. I did order the haynes repair book, and hopefully it will get me started, but I'm afraid to take it to a mechanic and they charge me 50 billion dollars for a $200 job, ya know?

Any more suggestions?

Old 07-19-07, 12:04 PM
DKM
Best guess

As previously stated, it could be lots of things.

But if I had to pick one, I would test &/or replace the TPS (Trottle Position Sensor). It's relitively cheap and easy to replace.

But, I could be wrong?
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken, I wasn't wrong!
David

Old 07-19-07, 04:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I too was leaning with DKM, and that is why I was curious about idle speed.

If you don't want to spend billions of dollars you have to try to answer some questions. You are not telling us all the circumstances this happens or becomes worse in - like if in 'park', or while you are idling at stop sign with foot on brake, etc. If it feels like it is ready to stall, what happens if you give it a little gas? Any problems with the way it runs under other situations like at cruise, or under 'load' up a hill? Ever try to pull out a couple spark plugs to see what it looks like? Or have someone follow behind you to see if any smoke is coming out the exhaust? Does the car drink any coolant or oil?

Old 07-19-07, 06:00 PM
Another common occurence that comes to mind is the AIS motor. (automatic Idle speed) . This takes over when a load situation occurs, such as turning, braking, A/C kicks in, or heavy load on alternator. It raises the idle as needed to maintain normal idle speed, as these load situations may arise. It could be as simple as spraying throttle body cleaner down the throat of the throttle body, especially in the direction of the port (hole) in the side of the throttle body, or maybe even removing the AIS motor, and cleaning it thoroughly and re-installing it to see if there is any difference, and all at minimal cost. It's not unusual to remove the AIS motor and find it all gummed up & a simple cleaning may stop the symptoms, if they are occuring under the above conditions. You'll probably need a torx screwdriver bit, and some penetrating spray to remove it. Give us as much info as you can, so maybe we can remedy situation with minimal cost.

Old 07-23-07, 06:44 PM
Well I've gotten my hands on the Haynes Repair guide ($1.15!) and I'm doing diagnostics and seeing what the problem is. I'll report as soon as I figure it out. Thanks!