2002 Dodge Ram 1500 AC compressor installation

Old 07-18-07, 03:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 AC compressor installation

I'm not very mechanically inclined but I am trying to save a few $$$ by replacing the AC compressor in my pickup. The old one was making a grinding sound that makes me assume the bearing is going out. I'm wondering what I need to know about this process that will help me do it correctly? Also, will I need to flush the system to avoid any shavings that may be there from the old compressor? Thanks for the help in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-07, 05:15 PM
I wouldn't even attempt this without basic skills/experience. You'll need special equipment (need to pull a vacuum to evacuate the system and replace with correct amount of refrigerant and oil) and if you don't replace correct parts (drier for one I believe), you could cause more trouble then it is worth.
I'd shop around for best price at a garage IMO.

Old 07-18-07, 06:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
A AC compressor can be removed by a DIYer, which is the point to this site. You will just need a mechanic to pull a vacuum and recharge if you don't have the equipment.

Old 07-19-07, 02:18 PM
I spoke with a guy at the local garage, they are going to do the vacume and recharge for me. Thanks for the advice, didn't quite know for sure what I was getting in to. I think I should be ok with the advice here and from the local garage. Thanks