85 4wd S10 dilema

Old 07-20-07, 07:12 AM
85 4wd S10 dilema

Ok well here is my dilema......I recently purchased an 85ish 4wd LWB S10. The only problem with it is the frame is rotted at the rear shackle on the leaf springs. It was sort of patched. Now what I'm wondering is would it be better to just patch up the frame or use my 87 2wd SWB S10 frame instead? I know some changes would need to be made but I wanted opinions.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-07, 07:28 AM
My opinion would be if you have that type of rust at the rear shackles, you have rust throughout the frame. The rust would likely have permeated the inside and not something you could clean up and restore for the long term. I think it would keep coming back on you.

On the other hand using the short wheel base frame would take a tremendous amount of work to modify and make usable.

I think I would start with what you wanted to end up with. If you are wanting a classic restoration and willing to invest a great deal (time and money) in the project, I would look for a replacement frame from an area without salt on the roads in the winter.

If you want a 4wd to get you by a couple of years while you knock around in it, I would fix up the frame that's in it.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Old 07-20-07, 07:56 AM
Really I want to use it as a daily driver/off road toy.

Old 07-20-07, 08:18 AM
As a rule those are mutually exclusive (depending on what you define as off road toy). The daily driver you like to keep in good shape to commute to work (make money pay bills) and the off road toy usually gets banged up with 4 wheeling activities.

Just a thought

Old 07-21-07, 05:47 AM
I will post pics when I find my digital camera.

Old 07-26-07, 10:52 AM
I was wrong, the 4wd is a SWB aswell. So if I chose to use the 2wd frame, would it be a big pain in the ass? I'll try to get pics today of the frame on the 4wd

Old 07-26-07, 11:28 AM
Inside of the frame http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa64/JoeyKHurst/?action=view&current=in.jpg

Outside of the frame http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa64/JoeyKHurst/?action=view&current=out.jpg

Old 07-26-07, 03:07 PM
That particular part of the frame would have been exposed to a lot of road salt and chemicals, which would account for its condition. It may be the worst part of the frame, but I would suspect the rest of it may have a lot of rust in/on it as well. I would say in terms of putting something together that would last a number of years, I would replace the frame.

The question, then, is the amount of work to swap frames and whether the other parts you're working with are in good enough condition to warrant the extra work. It would take a lot of work and some equipment to handle the heavier components, namely the cab, box and engine/transmission.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Old 07-26-07, 11:24 PM
So basically it's just putting stuff from one truck onto another frame? Also, what kinda would would it require to turn the 4wd automatic into a 5-speed?

Old 07-27-07, 07:28 AM
The components would be flywheel (with clutch facing), clutch disc, pressure plate, throwout bearing, bell housing, clutch slave (probably a hydraulic setup in that year, if not the clutch linkage), plumbing for the hydraulic clutch (again assuming that setup), master cylinder, clutch pedal with mount and linkage to master cylinder. You may have to use a different brake pedal to make room for the clutch pedal.

You would probably need a different transfer case for the 4wd. With that would come possibly a different driveshaft for the front axle.

Then the transmission and appropriate drive shaft (likely a different length than the automatic tranny setup.

Could be a few more nuts and bolts, but you would have 99 percent of it.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Old 07-27-07, 01:12 PM
If I were to patch up that spot on the frame, what type of metal do you recommend to patch it up with?

Old 07-27-07, 02:22 PM
The material used isn't likely to be the biggest problem. When you weld it you will burn through very easily, with that much rust. The frame is probably 1/8 to 3/16 inch and about the equivalent of 10-45 steel.

I believe if I was going to patch what you showed in the pictures, I would remove the box (an absolute necessity). Then grind the area of the shackles until they are bright metal. With the shackles in their original location either triangulate a reference for their refitting or make a template out of tack board. You have to do one or the other to return them to the exact location they are in now.

With that done, take out the old shackles entirely, and grind to bright metal on both sides of the frame about eight to ten inches front and rear of the shackle placement. Then get some 3/16, 10-36 (standard metal plate) and shape four pieces to fit the frame.

When you weld it weld along the top edge of the patch with one inch beads every three or four inches. The under side of the plate will be harder to weld, but do the same there when the plate is cool. Do not weld vertically at the ends of the patch.

A good rod for that type of welding is 7018 Low Hydrogen rod since it handles rust well. Use 1/8 rod and if you have a dual polarity welder use positive ground.

When you have the shackles installed, flood the patches and frame with Rustoleum to help prevent future rusting.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Old 07-27-07, 03:31 PM
Getting ahead of myself but how come I can't find lift kits for the front end of 1985ish Chevy S10 4wd's?

Old 07-27-07, 04:29 PM
I couldn't say. It may have not been a popular mod for that PU or the truck may be too old for the market.

Old 07-27-07, 05:14 PM
I mean the 2wd has stuff for the front end.

Old 07-29-07, 07:00 AM
bump..........................