'91 Toyota Camry Ignition Lock

Old 07-23-07, 10:45 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
'91 Toyota Camry Ignition Lock

Well today I went out to the car and noticed someone had taken a screwdriver to my ignition lock. I went to picked up a replacement from Autozone, but I am unable to take out the old one. I have attempted to remove the dash under the steering wheel so that I can take out the last screws holding the plastic cover on the steering column.

When I try to turn the lock to the acc. position I am unable to. I was not sure what I should do.

Old 07-23-07, 11:00 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The cylinder is damaged from the thugs that tried to steal it.

There are two options and none are "easy".

1.You could drill the center of the lock out

2. You could replace the whole assembly from the column. You will have to drill out the breakway bolts that hold it on.

Old 07-23-07, 12:02 PM
B
Alright

Well I have been working on it for a bit and I see what you mean.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n55/beatingcakes/IMG00207.jpg

That is a view of the back, I can see a guide pin in the chamber which is why it needed to be at the acc. option on the lock.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n55/beatingcakes/IMG00208.jpg

This is the front view and it is really messed up. I am going to try and drill it tonight and I hope it works.

It is kinda sad, this is really my girlfriends car, they also tried to get mine but only messed up the plastic shield around the lock, they did not get to the tumblers.

Old 07-23-07, 12:09 PM
If you are adventerous, you could try and finish what the thieves could not do. You may be able to get it to turn to ACC with a slim flat head screwdriver and hammer.

Old 07-23-07, 01:32 PM
B
After I drill the lock out so I can rotate it to ACC. should I just be able to pull/push the lock out?

Old 07-23-07, 02:31 PM
Yes, it should turn once the center is drilled out.

Use a decent drill bit and use a lower speed. If you drll to fast, you will probably just ruin the bit.

Old 07-24-07, 05:44 AM
B
Ok well thank you for the info it worked. I had to get a new battery too since they dd not shut the door all the way and the dome light drained the battery. Now there seems to be an electrical issue. The door beeps without a key in the ignition and when you go to lock the doors (power locks) they will not lock since they think that there is a key in the ignition. Other then that the car starts and runs good.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: