86 new yorker problems

Old 07-29-07, 06:42 AM
86 new yorker problems

1986 chrysler new yorker 2.2lt turbo. Sometimes the engine hesitates while driving and idles high and power loss light is on but most of the time it drives fine no problems and power loss light is off and idles fine. Power loss light codes are 13-15-35-52-55. Power steering leaks fluid under the car midways. Has new pump. I smell exhaust very bad while driving with windows down. I read it might be a clogged catilytic converter causing it to hesitate but don't know how to check it. I put new plugs, wires distibutor and rotor and oil change, air filter 2 months ago. I sold it to my friend on payments but he has health problems and couldn't pay the rest so he gave it back and now its like this. It was running great when I gave it to him. Also it blows a puff of black smoke when I crank it and I have to press the gas when I crank it to get it to start. It use to crank up fine.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-07, 08:09 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
One of these type posts where it could be many things. But for starters did you make sure your choke is open after engine warms up?

Have you tried to run it with air cleaner off to rule out possibnilty that some damper control in your fresh air intake hose is not staying closed?

Can't make too much out of puff of smoke at start up if it starts up hard and you are pressing on gas pedal, when in all likelihood the choke is closed down at at that point when cold (even though, granted, it should open when gas pedal depressed down. But then again, without seeing it do that, who knows if it is.)

This engine should have fairly easy access to plugs if turbo is not in way, and you may want to take compression test as that is fairly quick to do.

Old 07-29-07, 10:30 AM
How can I tell if choke is open? I'll try runnin it with air cleaner off and see if that helps. The plugs are easy to to get to I changed them myself. How do I do a compression test? I only have to give it gas to crank when its cold. I looked up those codes and it said oxygen sensor stuck at rich position, map sensor or vacuum line not working, no speed/distance sensor signal, cooling fan relay curcuit open or shorted. My speedometor works and the radiator fan works so I don't get why it showing those codes.

Old 07-29-07, 10:40 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by dman28001 View Post
How can I tell if choke is open? I'll try runnin it with air cleaner off and see if that helps. The plugs are easy to to get to I changed them myself. How do I do a compression test? I only have to give it gas to crank when its cold. I looked up those codes and it said oxygen sensor stuck at rich position, map sensor or vacuum line not working, no speed/distance sensor signal, cooling fan relay curcuit open or shorted. My speedometor works and the radiator fan works so I don't get why it showing those codes.
The codes may indicate all those problems, or, one or two that affect all the other sensors. And most the things you list are common problems that will affect air/gas ratio by computer.

You can see if choke is open. First let it cool down to see if choke is shut. Then run the car with air cleaner off and see if it starts to open (choke plate located on very top of the left side of your two barrel carb I believe. Other barrel does not have a choke plate) some and if it then opens all the way when plenty warmed up.

Old codes - might serve you well to try to erase them and start over.

Search this Thread