Oxygen Sensor replacement on 98 Ford Explorer

Old 07-29-07, 09:48 PM
Question Oxygen Sensor replacement on 98 Ford Explorer

Anyone have any tips on how to get to three of the four oxygen sensors located on the top portion of the exhaust pipe just before and after the catalytic converter? One was easy to get at but the other three seem impossible. The plug connectors are on top of the drive shaft and jsut cannot be reached. It almost looks like there is a removable panel in the passenger compartment floor panel but I cannot tell for sure.

I would really appreciate anyone who has experience with this and sharing any tips you may have.

Thanks....Dan

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-07, 08:32 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
To replace the o2 sensors (there are 2 per side)
Remove the center console, roll carpet back from dash, on transmission hump is a removable panel. Under it is the connectors. The console can be removed in about 5 minutes. 1/2 hour for first time.

Here's some pics:

http://picasaweb.google.com/audreyappliance/AccessPanelAboveTransmissionOn1996FordExplorerXLT50AWD

Old 07-30-07, 11:25 AM
o2 Sensors

Thanks for the excellent tips and photos. I will attempt to remove them this evening and will let you know how it goes. I tried calling the local Ford dealer and the service manager had no tips. He probably wanted me to bring it in, typical!

Old 07-30-07, 11:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Of course he wanted you to come in.

I would recommend spraying down the sensor bungs with PB Blaster or WD40 and let it soak for awhile. I'm sure the sensors are very snugged in place.

Old 02-02-14, 09:43 AM
1998 Ford Explorer Center Console Removal to access Oxygen Sensors below Access

Team,
The pictures in the URL above are not for a 1998 Ford Explorer. I have a 1998 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0 4 door 2WD. I would be most appreciative if I could get pictures of my vehicle how to remove the Center console for the 1998 Ford Explorer I just described. A video would be even better.

Thanks In Advance

Old 02-02-14, 09:50 AM
Search on You Tube, you should find something there. Are you changing all of them? Usually it's the sensors in front of the converters go bad.

Old 02-02-14, 09:57 AM
Yes Sir I am changing all of them. I already changed the easy ones. I have searched youtube and found nothing about my 1998 Ford Explorer. I just need to know how to get the Center Console out of my vehicle without messing it up so I can change the 2 above the transmission that have to be accessed from the access panel under the Center Console. The sensor's have never been changed so I am hitting them all for preventive maintenance while I am at it.

Old 02-02-14, 02:32 PM
Go to any library and copy page or 2 off manual, if you do not have $14 or so to buy one. Or, go to Autozone online repair manuals.

Old 02-02-14, 08:25 PM
im sorry but on no ford does the does the center console have to be removed to replace an 02 senor. all can be replaced from underneath.