'82 VW pickup counter shaft pulley

Old 08-02-07, 08:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
'82 VW pickup counter shaft pulley

Does any one know any thing about VW diesels, specifically an '82 Rabbit Pickup? I need to pull the water pump and the counter shaft pulley is in the way. I removed the bolt in the center of it, but can't get it off the shaft. It's an aluminum pulley so I'm reluctant to get too aggressive with it. Will I damage it using a puller? Please tell me I don't have to pull the engine to get the thing off.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-07, 10:25 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
You may damage it by pulling on the outer belt runs.

It may have a couple of threaded bolt holes in the face of the pulley to attach a puller to. I would check that first.

If it doesn't, there are pullers that are made for pulling bearings that should work. They have a half shell that would go behind the pulley and shouldn't cause any damage.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Old 08-02-07, 12:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I misspoke, it isn't a counter shaft pulley, it's an intermediate shaft pulley. I'm not sure that makes a difference, but, there you have it. I just got back from the parts house in case I break this one and discovered they can't even get one. It's either a dealer item or a wrecking yard item. I can't imagine why the folks who designed this thing would put a pulley in front of the water pump if it's all that difficult to remove. The Germans are better than that so I'm going to do a little more investigating.