Fuel Injector-WHISTLES

Old 08-03-07, 12:34 PM
Fuel Injector-WHISTLES

1988 Jeep / 4 cyl / TBI / Single Fuel Injector. Engine ran "rough" with noticable miss. Replaced Oxygen Sensor. Engine Ran a lot better but still a little rough. Then replaced / Plugs / Plug Wires / Distributor Cap / Rotor. Did not improve much. Now the question and the quirk: When the engine is at idle a loud "whistle" emits from the fuel injector. By pushing down on the injector with the engine still running the "whistle" changes tone. When accelerating, the "whistle" sound disappears until constant speed is attained then "whistle' sound reappears. Could this be the injector going bad? Maybe a bad seal or O-ring? The cost of an injector for this Jeep is over $200 so I could use a little expert advise. Any method to check Fuel Injector?
Thanx,

REBEL

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-07, 03:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What about used at junk yard?

Old 08-04-07, 07:42 AM
Thanx-ecman

That is my first stop next week. Most of the "stuff" on this Jeep project is from the junk yard. I will grab a couple of injectors and try-um-out. I suspect, however, that the injector is not responsible for the engine miss.

Thanks, ecman, for your response.

Old 08-04-07, 09:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It sure seems like the faulty injector could cause a miss. If the whistle is caused by a fuel flow restriction in the injector this not only would directly mess up the air/fuel ratio, but also send bad information to some of the sensors, I'd imagine where then the computer would have to try to make adjustments that it probably can't.

Old 08-29-07, 11:50 AM
Update/fixed

Not many suggestions, but the problem fixed/update. The miss and whistle was due to loose bolts on the intake manifold, thereby creating loss of vaccum at the intake. Installed new grade eight bolts, torked to 26 ft lb and problem solved. I did procure two fuel injectors at a junk yard (both good) and that led to the manifold discovery.