Plastic over right front wheel falling off

Old 08-13-07, 12:36 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Plastic over right front wheel falling off

Hey guys,

So on a long road trip last week, I had to pull over when I heard a scraping sound coming from under my car. I have a 97 Corolla and apparently the plastic piece that goes over the wheel was hanging. I duct taped it back up for the time being, but I'm wondering if this is something I can cut off or if I need to replace it.

Thanks!

Old 08-13-07, 12:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
Keep it; prevents excess water being splashed into places it doesn't belong. Shouild be held in place with some little black plastic push-in fasteners. Can usually find them at any parts store.

Old 08-13-07, 01:24 PM
H
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy
Keep it; prevents excess water being splashed into places it doesn't belong. Shouild be held in place with some little black plastic push-in fasteners. Can usually find them at any parts store.
Ah thanks.. The actual piece seems to have split. Is it worth replacing the whole part, or could I just remove the front part that hits the road when it dangles?

Old 08-13-07, 01:55 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Like Tow Guy says, repair or replace it. If water gets kicked up onto the engine, it could leave you stranded with a dead engine (wet plugs and wires), or slipping belts, or a shorted alternator.

Old 08-13-07, 02:17 PM
I've had luck repairing plastic pieces by carefully drilling small holes on both sides of the crack and using zip ties to pull the crack together. Is the piece split into two pieces or is it still together in places?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: