check engine light

Old 08-15-07, 05:34 PM
check engine light

My 92 Geo Storm check engine light won't light. The car will run fine for about 5minutes then check engine light will come on and the car will stall. Just about the time I jump #1 and #3 pin on the ALDL the check engine light won't blink or come on. After turning the key back and forth the check engine will come on then off. I hear the fuel pump pressure up and I have spark but it won't start now. What should I do?. prior to this problem it needed front struts bad. It shook like crazy before I got around to replacing them. Could perhaps something shook loose. I have replaced plugs,wires,cap,rotor,TPS,IAT,and PCV. What did I miss? Can ayone help me?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-07, 06:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You are jumpering the black wire and the blue/yellow wire at the connector near the battery?

Old 08-16-07, 05:40 PM
Check Engine Light

In reply to HotinOKC. No - the Assembly Line Data Link(ALDL) is located under the passenger side glovebox behind the kick panel- to activate the diagnostic codes, I jump terminals #1and#3(the two outer terminals). When it opperates normally I could examine what the ECM has logged in memory by making the check engine light flash in specific way. Not mine it don't flash at all now. Perhaps my ECM is dead now?

Old 08-16-07, 05:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Did you jumper those terminals, then turn the key to the ON position? I'm not trying to make you sound stupid, but just have to ask.

Old 08-17-07, 09:16 AM
Check Engine Light

In reply to the question of jumpering before or after turning ignition key to on position. I have in the past turned key on after jumpering the terminals. but now the check engine light don"t stay on long enough so I've left the key on then jumpered the terminal. I"m experimenting with all the inputs thinking it might be a sensor or something grounding out the ECM.
P.S. no offense taken just tell it like it is I'm just a husband/dad/student/full time employee, trying to get and old car back on the road

Search this Thread