Can't Find the Low Side Port on My 1996 Pontiac Grand Prix

Old 08-25-07, 05:36 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Can't Find the Low Side Port on My 1996 Pontiac Grand Prix

I want to recharge my ac because it no longer blows cold air. I believe it has gradually lost power so I believe it is a small leak. My car is a 1996 Grand Prix and don't want to put alot of $ into it. It will be traded in a few months and won't get much for it anyway.

So I purchased a kit to recharge my system with a pressure gauge. The problem is for the life of me, I can't find the low side port to recharge my system. I looked all over the internet and Chilton Manuals with no success. All the pictures and videos I have seen look completely different than underneath my hood. So I need help from you guys to find the low side port in my 1996 Pontiac Grand Prix.

I took some pictures of underneath my hood yesterday. Copy and paste the link into a new webpage:

http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b362/pluto234567/car/

Old 08-25-07, 07:13 AM
P
It's under the air box, drivers side. Easier to access from underneath the car.

Old 08-25-07, 07:47 AM
P
Originally Posted by pmgheritage
It's under the air box, drivers side. Easier to access from underneath the car.
is there a way for me to remove the air box to access the ports? Because I don't want to work from underneath the car.

Old 08-25-07, 10:31 AM
nap
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I believe it is similar to my daughters car, which is a bit older.

To remove the air box, you need to remove the top of it, which is a couple screws and a band clamp. Then there are a couple screws/bolts at the bottom of the box going through ears on the box. Remove those and the whole box whould come out.

You may need to remove the cross brace (the structural brace that runs from the from across the box area to the side fender area. That is only 3 bolts but they can be tough. An impact gun makes short work of them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: