a/c only blows cold on 1 and 2 setting

Old 09-06-07, 12:06 AM
a/c only blows cold on 1 and 2 setting

I have a 2003 chevy malibu and the a/c only works on setting 1 and 2. It used to work on 1-4, but not 5. Now its down to 2 fan settings. It seems the light for the a/c goes out when I set it on 3 or higher. What can cause this?

Kathi

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-07, 03:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sounds like your blower motor resistor pack. It's usually a black box with a bunch of wires coming out of it, attached to your blower housing.

Old 09-07-07, 08:16 AM
Originally Posted by kat61969 View Post
I have a 2003 chevy malibu and the a/c only works on setting 1 and 2. It used to work on 1-4, but not 5. Now its down to 2 fan settings. It seems the light for the a/c goes out when I set it on 3 or higher. What can cause this?

Kathi
I have a 1998 Oldsmobile 88 that did the same thing. Took it to the dealers under warranty and they couldn't find the problem because they couldn't duplicate it when I brought it in! Lame excuse.

After the warranty ended, it did it again. This time I took it to an independent mechanic, who found the problem after 3 hours of diagnosing the wiring! A wiring harness under the dash was melted. He had to repair a bunch of melted wires - ended up being about a four hour charge !!!

It's been fine ever since.

That's GM quality...........