2005 Jimmy - 4WD Problem

Old 09-07-07, 06:04 AM
2005 Jimmy - 4WD Problem

I have a 2005 Jimmy. For those of you in the USA, I had it built specially for me LOL. Well, not exactly, they were reincarnated for the Canadian market. Sometimes I wish they'd just let the model die.

Anyways, this piece of junk is still under warranty. Until November of this year. So far I've had the steering box replaced twice, the oil pan replaced once, the CD player replaced twice, the speakers in the doors replaced once, and the list goes on, I can't remember the other items replaced, there are too many to remember. Seems like GM is rebuilding this vehicle for me, that's why I started this thread with the above intro.

I took it back to the dealer this morning with the following additional concerns:

1) The dome light was missing. The shell was installed but no working light. A couple of bolts securing it to the ceiling were also missing.
2) A loud rattle had developed - possibly under the dash or perhaps the dome light - hard to tell where it was coming from.
3) The vehicle has 4WD with three settings - 2 High, 4 High, 4 Low. When in 4 High (and possibly 4 Low) while backing up it feels like somebody is applying the brakes really hard and the gas pedal has to be pressed really hard to get the vehicle to back up.

The service advisor is having the first two items checked out. For item 3, he advised me that the behavior is customary with on-demand 4WD - that when turning the steering wheel and backing up with the 4WD engaged the vehicle is supposed to be difficult to back up. Further he advised me that the 4WD system can be burned out if used under dry summer conditions, and that it should only be used in slippery conditions. Well, that was news to me! So I asked him if the same applied to 4WD all the time vehicles and he said no, that it only applies to on-demand 4WD. Can anyone confirm to me that this is normal behavior for on-demand 4WD, or is this service advisor just trying to get out of doing warranty work with only two months to go on the warranty?

Thanks for all replies.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-07, 09:56 AM
4WD with solid mechanical connections between front/back and side/side indeed can be damaged if used on dry pavement. The cause: inside wheels on turns take a shorter path than the outside wheels and there is no allowance in the solid mechanical connections for this difference. Sometimes the front or back axle is unintentionally driven faster or slower than the other (this happens if wheels are worn differently or different size tires are mounted). Unless the wheels can slip, something mechanical has to give (which usually means break).

The AWD style of 4WD that can accept running on dry pavement drives the 'extra' axle at a different ratio so that the extra axle doesn't transmit power until the primary axle is already slipping. There are also fluid couplings in the system that allow the things to slip if needed.

Old 09-07-07, 04:50 PM
Pretty good explanation for potential damage to occur when driving in 4WD on dry pavement and I know that my front tires are worn a bit more (2 to 3 twelveths) than my rear tires because I have not rotated the wheels.

Is it also true that backing up while the front wheels are turned causes the apparent braking that I felt?

Old 09-09-07, 07:16 AM
Anyone know about this backing up issue?

Old 09-09-07, 08:26 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Well, with vehicle in 4low, it uses the granny gear which will make it seem like the brakes are dragging, this is normal.

Old 09-09-07, 08:44 AM
You can really do a number on your 4WD transfer case and workings in forward and reverse on dry or solid pavement. The further you travel the more difficult for the engine to pull the vehicle due to a slight difference in tire wear and the setting of the free play in the differentials. I have seen drive shafts twisted off and teeth missing from the differential ring gears. Also there is a connection between the transmission and the 4WD transfer case that will break. 4WD is ment to be used where slipage is allowed in either the front or rear wheels. Any turning that you may do will compound the problem. I have been servicing these units for over 50 years and seen a lot of abuse of these units in all makes of vehicles.

Old 09-09-07, 06:18 PM
Thanks guys, I was experiencing the problem backing out of the driveway in 4 High, never tested 4 Low. But from what you guys are saying, it sounds like the dealer is giving me the straight goods.