Stalling condition 1988 Chevy C1500 Truck

Old 09-07-07, 12:57 PM
Stalling condition 1988 Chevy C1500 Truck

I have a 88 chevy c1500 truck with a 5.7 TBI engine. I am experiencing a intermittent stalling condition that has me baffled. The truck will stall/quit running on occassion under no set conditions, sometimes hot and or cold. After the stall the engine will restart with no problem. I have replaced every electrical part I know to replace,... distributor with new module, coil, computer, plugs and wires. I checked the harness for bare wires and found everything in good shape. I also replaced the fuel injectors thinking it may be a fuel delivery issue. Is there a relay or something I am overlooking, or has anyone else experienced this condition who can point me in the right direction? One last thing, I have disconnected and plugged the EGR valve also. Any help will save me from a new truck payment. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-07, 01:10 PM
Sometimes you have to suck to be good...

Dragracer,

My 1985 Chevy 1500 had a similar issue. In my case I had vacuum issues. Check your vacuum generator and canister, then the massive mess of vacuum lines. In some cases a small crack or two is no problem, but the right combination of events causes vacuum to drop out -- which regulates many carb functions -- and stalls the whole thing.

Also, do you have the Rochester injected throttle body? 4M series?

Old 09-07-07, 01:26 PM
I had a vacuum leak between the Tb and intake manifold. Replaced gasket and everything was fine. Just another suggestion.