Engine roar on 2002 Ford Explorer

Old 09-09-07, 01:49 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Red face Engine roar on 2002 Ford Explorer

My explorer has started to make a roaring sound at speeds around 50 - 65 mph. It is not that loud, but I notice the change when I hit those speeds. It seems to be running fine other than this noise. It has about 55,000 miles on the odometer. I hate to take it somewhere without having some idea what the problem could be.

Old 09-09-07, 02:14 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Could you have dual radiator fans that maybe are kicking on now when they didn't used to, for reasons of slight engine overheating problems or you now have been using the airconditioning?

Old 09-09-07, 03:01 PM
Talking

I'de lean more towards one of these:

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=28

Old 09-09-07, 03:26 PM
E
Ha. Looks authentic too. Back into the future the poster will go.

A roar is hard for us to know just by hearing someone tell you it 'roars'. But I do know that in the days of belt driven fans that if you revved up the engine, you get more noise, that is for sure. Also on older carbureted cars that were of the hot-rod type, when you really laid into the pedal and the throttle plates opened, you could get quite an engine sound also. Although I'd call the noise 'throaty'.

Is there a website that is like how photobucket is to visual displays, where if someone has noises, they can hold out their cell phone after they dialed some internet provider and it comes over the internet? Is there that feature yet?

Old 09-10-07, 06:09 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
engine noise

Thanks for the information. I tried running about 50 mph today as fast as I could go in traffic and turning of the air conditioning to see if I could hear the difference. I think once I could, but the sound is not that loud around 50. It is louder around 65 and stops around 70. I noticed it more on Satuday when pulling the boat on the interstate around 65. The noise just sounds like the engine is running slightly louder at these speeds. I have also noticed the dash seems to be vibrating a little as well. This all started about the same time. Other than the noise it seems to be running smooth.

Old 09-11-07, 05:54 AM
E
Do you have a tachometer gauge on your car, to check engine rpm's? After you mentioned towing the boat and also running at higher speeds, noticing that sound then, that perhaps you have slippage and motor is revving higher.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: