Quick tail/brake light question

Old 09-09-07, 06:46 PM
Quick tail/brake light question

I drive an '03 Mazda Protege5, auto, 2.0L...

The driver side brake light doesn't work, but only when someone steps on the brake. When the car alarms or is locked/unlocked by the keyless remote, it lights. Same light. Could it be a fuse? I hope it's not a wire. What would be the best way to figure it out? Should I just try changing the bulb anyway since they come in packs of two for about $4 + tax? Where do I start to diagnose this. I need to fix this quickly, before I get a ticket.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-07, 09:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Assuming that everything had been okay up to a certain point in time, and then the light suddenly quit, start with the easiest. Replace the bulb and, if that doesn't cure the problem, let us know.

Old 09-10-07, 05:54 PM
Thanks Goldstar! When I first tried to change it, before I posted here, I inspected the light and saw that there were two filaments in it. I didn't notice that one was indeed out. Turns out, the tail light/brake light bulb needed was about twice as much! And I had to buy a pair of 6" pliers to get at those recessed bolts holing the tail lights on. Total cost of fix $15.15. But a lot less of a hassle than a ticket would be, and the experience was priceless. Problem resolved.