i want to paint a f150 truck , my air compressor big enough for the job???

Old 09-12-07, 06:14 PM
i want to paint a f150 truck , my air compressor big enough for the job???

hi, im planning on painting my fullsize truck, i have a 1.3 hp 10 gallons campbell hausenfed air compressor, will this compressor do the job?? or am i going to need something bigger? this is my first time painting with compressor, i already have a air/oil filter to installed on the new line. i would appreciate your help.
also how long do i wait before i shoot clearcoat after applying basecoat.?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-07, 06:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
10 Gallon is probably too small unless you do small sections at a time.

Do you have a paint booth? How are you going to control all the over spray and dusting? What type of gun are you using?

Old 09-13-07, 04:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have painted cars/trucks with my old 11 gal 1 hp sears compressor before but it is difficult. Some guns will work better than others - check the cfm. The problem is you draw down the reserve air fast and the comp struggles to give the gun enough air to atomize the paint correctly. I now have a 6hp 60 gal and wouldn't use my small compressor again to paint unless I didn't have a choice A 20 gal 2hp would probably be bare minimum and again it depends on the gun's cfm requirements.

I've never sprayed any clear coat. I would assume the label on either the base coat or clear coat would provide the necessary info.

btw - welcome to the forums

Old 09-13-07, 06:06 AM
thank you guys for the help

Old 09-18-07, 02:20 PM
Whatever you do, make sure you practice first. If you've never done it before you'll be displeased with the results. It's an art. I've done it once, looks alright, can't wait to try again.

Old 09-18-07, 06:14 PM
Group Moderator
First - never paint with air line that has had oil in it - you mentioned having an oiler.

Second, your paint gun should specify how much volume it needs and then compare that to what you compressor supplies. My guess is you don't have enough.