'01 Malibu Horn Pad Removal ? uh-oh

Old 09-14-07, 02:28 PM
'01 Malibu Horn Pad Removal ? uh-oh

Hey guys,

How do I replace my horn pad on my 2001 Chev Malibu without setting off the air bag.

The other day on my way home I had to hit the horn because of a guy in the middle of texting on the cell crossed into my lane and the horn wouldn't shut off !
Had to pound the horn pad a couple of times to get it to stop blowing then it went off again by itself in the middle of the night ( can't have that).
So for about 2 weeks I've had my horn disconnected.

NOTE: It's not the relay, it's the HORN pad.

I could always run a bypass horn button but only as a last resort.

So besides disconnecting the battery what steps do I take to remove and replace this horn pad without disturbing the air bag??????

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-07, 03:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Where you press to sound the horn IS the airbag so do not tear into that!

Since it usually does require the removal of the airbag to get to the horn switch itself, you might want to have a mechanic work on it.

Old 09-14-07, 04:23 PM
Definately. An air bag can kill you when it deploys.

Old 09-15-07, 07:40 AM
Duh................

So we have no horn pad/airbag techs on site?

Old 09-15-07, 07:49 AM
You have to remove the plastic trim around the wheel and then remove the airbag to get to the horn switch.

Old 09-15-07, 08:12 AM
Thanks OKC, this much I know.
But once I remove the horn pad can the air bag be removed from the horm pad so I can get to the horn contacts in the pad fix it then put the bag assembly back and it's connections ect...and what pit falls should I watch out for?

I guess I'm asking this question to someone who has performed this procedure before like a Chevy tech.

Old 09-16-07, 11:45 AM
This is what I do for a living. I once witnesses a fellow employee damn near get killed when an airbag deployed while it was in his hands, wires disconnected. Static electricity caused the bag to deploy.

I just checked and the contacts are a non-serviceable item. You HAVE to replace the air bag to fix the problem.

Old 09-16-07, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by Mr. Dummas View Post
I just checked and the contacts are a non-serviceable item. You HAVE to replace the air bag to fix the problem.

I highly doubt the OP wants to spend $400+ on an new airbag just to fix the horn. I suggest, if Dummas is correct, that you just run a new switch bypassing the one in the column all together.

Old 09-16-07, 12:37 PM
Yes, that would be the way to do it in order to save $$. I was just stressing the fact that the airbag should not be attempted to be disassembled, for safety reasons. After witnessing an accident like I have, I take every precaution when it comes to anyone working with an airbag system. I too would be running a separate switch/button to fix this concern. Them bags are too expensive.

Search this Thread