Valve springs torque

Old 09-19-07, 06:31 PM
Valve springs torque

A friend is working on his 383 stroker racer and looking for the torque specs for the valve springs. The heads are numbered 667417369 these are heavy duty springs.

Anyone have a ball park...or better estimate I can give him?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-07, 06:35 PM
I am assuming this is a Chevy engine. The valve springs are held to the valves with retainer clips, 2 per spring. There are no bolts or anything to tighten on the valve springs. The rocker arms are adjustable, no torque spec there.

Old 09-19-07, 06:45 PM
Oops..yes, I'm talking about the rocker arms. He's looking for adjustment advice on the rocker arms.

Also..this is a Chevy engine.

Old 09-19-07, 07:13 PM
What I like to do, is snug them up so the rockers are no longer loose. I start the engine. I back the rocker nut off until the valve begins to click, or tighten the nut until it stops to click. I then tighten the nut a half turn. Then move onto the next one, until all are done. It can be a little messy, but its a good way to do it right.
There is a different proceedure to do it without running the engine, but I half to go back and do it the other way anyways to be sure of myself. I have the other proceedure written down somewhere, but I'll probably never be able to find it. That one requires you to bring the pistons to top dead center and tighten a few rocker nuts, bring up another piston, and tighten a few more nuts, etc...
I can look for it, but cannot guarantee I'll find it. I'll search the internet and see if I can find it.

Old 09-19-07, 07:18 PM
I just sent you a message with a link to the procedure.

Old 09-19-07, 07:40 PM
Hey thanks Mr D. I'm on the phone with him now giving him what you said. He's sends his thanks also.

Old 09-19-07, 07:44 PM
You don't give enough info to correctly help you. You say it is a race engine 383 stroker ? All my "race" engines use a solid lifter cam. They have a lash adjustment. You need to let us know what kind of cam it has or let us know what the cam card says. It should have a lash setting. or it should say it is a hydraulic cam if so then the procedure already given can be used but might still be a little off. The book says for most stock hyd cams 1 turn after zero lash I've always done them to 3/4 turn, some hyd cams call for different settings.
Let us know what you have so we can help you...

Old 09-19-07, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the reply, Nastycamaros

He said it's not hydraulic. I'm not near where he is so can't look at things myself. The owner is in another state and has no internet access to give all the info, unfortunately. I relayed what you both have said and he's going to start with what Mr D said than if it needs a bit of tweeking, he'll try to get some local help tomorrow.

Thanks for the replies. This is a great resource.

Old 09-20-07, 07:49 PM
Tell him not to.... DO NOT FIRE IT THAT WAY
Solid cams need clearance...
He needs to get the info or else he will damage the cam, lifters etc...
Does he know what cam is in it ? if so I can probably get the specs...
If he needs to fire it do not adjust like a hyd... the valves will remain open and it probably won't start... if it does he will probably burn a valve or two very quickly.
This is one thing you don't want to do wrong it can be costly.
You have to adjust them at the right position and they should have between .015-.030" clearance depending on the cam...
Please find out and let us know before he causes a lot of damage. You might get away with .020" clearance just to fire it but get the correct specs before running it...

Old 09-20-07, 08:08 PM
nap
Yes, lets hope he did not fire then engine after setting as others have directed or tried adjusting when running.

with a hydraulic lifter, as in the others settings, the idea is to set the valves tight enough to have the lifter in the center of its adjustability. You do not have this with a solid lifter and instead of the lifter collapsing a bit, the valve gets held open once there is 0 lash. If the engine clearances are very close, you could definately have a catastrophic injury to the engine.

The valves are set with engine not running and with the piston at TDC of that specific cylinder on the compression/power stroke.

It is a lot more detailed to set a solid lifter valvetrain than with hyd lifters.