radiator fan

Old 09-20-07, 03:35 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
radiator fan

I have a96 Chevy Lumina, and my radiator fan is not working. I have been told it could be a sensor, or fan motor. Can someone tell me how to check which it could be?

Old 09-20-07, 04:14 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If you know someone handy who knows how to work with electricity, you could have them undo the fan jack and literally hot wire the fan to the battery with pieces of wire. That would then determine the fan, anyway.
DC motors, like a car's fan motor, test differently than AC motors. You can be fooled into thinking the motor is bad when it isn't. The hot wire test is not going to lie.

Old 09-21-07, 08:35 AM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Is your Lumina overheating? Many modern fans do not run continuously, but only when there is a need.

If you have air conditioning, turn it on and then check the fan. It should be turning with the air on.

Old 09-21-07, 08:36 PM
H
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I agree with Goldstar. On most GMs, at least the ones I've dealt with, when the A/C is turned on, the colling fan should kick on as well. If not, the problem is in either the fan motor or the relay that controls it. If the fan IS operational with the A/C running, the problem with the car may be a faulty coolant temperature sensor or radiator fan switch, some GMs have both. The coolant temp sensor is usually located on the thermostat housing, or very close to it. Check the wires to see if any have popped of or corroded.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: