Frequency of oil changes

Old 10-01-07, 09:15 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Frequency of oil changes

I just recently bought a new Honda accord and reading the manual i discovered that this car has what is called a "mileage Minder" that computes when you need to change your oil. Now,i'm from the old school where you change your oil every ~3k. Well, i did some checking around and discovered that,indeed oil changes basically, are done 5k,or longer. These are cars made in the last 10 yrs. or more. I don't have a problem with the longer change intervals
I'm interested what the experts here have to say about this?

Old 10-01-07, 10:15 AM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
No "expert", but I change my dino oil in the 3K to 4 K range on my 04 Toyota. I think the reminder kicks in at 5 K but I don't give it a chance to do so. Consumer Reports recently had an article on keeping your car in good shape for 200K or more miles, and regular changing of all fluids is a key item.

Old 10-01-07, 11:20 AM
B
most manufacturers have always had a longer oil change frequency than the standard 3000 miles wich ever one you follow is really up to you, but most shops is probably going to recomend every 3000 miles and why wouldnt they its just more business for them.
I dont think you are going to notice a difference in engine life wether you go by the 3k or follow the manufacturers recomendations.

Old 10-01-07, 11:30 AM
I guess i agree. With todays oils and cars it seems logical.
Probably will bum out the oil change shops though, Such is life. Thanks

Old 10-01-07, 03:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I use Mobile 1 synthetic and don't change my oil for 6-7k miles and even then it looks ok. I just change the oil filter out at 3-4k miles.

It is starting to be common place for oil change intervals to be 5-10k miles with changing the filter a little sooner.

Old 10-01-07, 06:50 PM
oil change

I also go by the computer on my wife's 2000 suburban 6.0 L and on my '07 K3500 silverado, you dont need to change the filter in the middle of oil's life , just install a high performance oil filter at each oil change , why would you change filter only
? it defeats the purpose of longer oil change intervals.
I use full syntehtic on suburban and regular diesel oil on silverado ( 15w-40)

Old 10-01-07, 07:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
How does it defeat the purpose? You don't need to drain your oil to change the filter.

The filter collects all the sediments so changing it out mid oil change helps protect the oil that much more.

Old 10-02-07, 01:15 AM
J
Im a honda fan to. I would ask your dealers service department. I would change it every 3K. I believe in your manual look under sever operating conditions and itll say change every 3K depeding on your driving conditions. I use to own an 89 honda and the manual on it says change it every 5 or 6K. If you use a high quality oil and filter i guess 4K wouldnt hurt it if it appears clean, but I dont reccomend it.

What oil and filter are you gonna use?

Old 10-02-07, 04:54 AM
Honda dealer recommended the first oil change around 3750
The manual says to go by the "mileage minder". So being a low mileage driver i would probably being changing the oil once a yr. However, i plan on changing oil/filter at 5k.
I have a GMC k1500 and the manual says its computer will alert to a oil change also. I have been changing the truck's oil at 3k,but will change it at 5k now. Both vehicles are not in the severe class.
Thanks

Old 10-02-07, 05:59 AM
J
Oil helps to clean as well as to lubricate. I change it every 3K as a matter of habit. By that time, the oil is already dirty, even though the manufacturer says "every 5K".

But don't discount usage, either.

If you're commuting to a city every day with lots of stop-and-go traffic, or doing deliveries or other hard work, then you change your oil every 2K or even 1K!

Hard work breaks down oil faster. The company car where I work gets an oil change every other week because of the mileage and abuse the employees put on it.

I change my oil once a month because of the highway mileage.

J

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: