1994 Explorer 4X4 transmission shift problem

Old 09-30-07, 06:15 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 1994 Explorer 4X4 transmission shift problem

I own a 1994 Explorer with 186,000 miles. I have maintained it and always changed the transmission fluid and filter at regular intervals. It's an automatic and will not shift into second gear. I can manuallly shift it into second but that's about it. I hear what sounds like a vacuum leak under the transmission. I am a weekend mechanic BUT know little to nothing about transmissions. I do not want to sink any substantial cash into this vehicle and at this point I'm thinking it may be time to retire it. This is the origonal transmission and never required service so I think that 186k is pretty good. I checked the fluid and it looks clean and red; no signs of metal or burnt smell. I do have a code reader; are there codes for transmission problems? Any inputs would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Old 09-30-07, 06:20 PM
R
Check the vacum line going to the modulator valve on the right side of tranny.

Old 10-01-07, 04:43 AM
F
1994 Explorer transmission problem

Hi,

If I'm in the correct location I did find a vacuum hose on the drivers side of the vehicle at the side of the transmission. The hose was cracked and I replaced it but still (if I'm in the right location) no shifting into second gear and I can still hear what sounds like a vacuum leak. Does it sound like I found the hose that you are talking about? If so is there a step 2?

Thanks,

Old 10-01-07, 06:27 AM
Received 59 Upvotes on 53 Posts
Did the hose you replaced go directly to the transmission? If I remember correctly the line is rubber at the transmission end and metal up to where it goes to the engine. It is possible the metal line has a hole in it. Or the modulator (the part on the tranny) is leaking. I would try replacing the entire line (metal and both rubber ends), then if it still does not work replace the modulator. If it gave no signs of weakness before this, it is probably as you think a vacuumn leak. Both parts should be fairly cheap.

Old 10-01-07, 08:51 AM
F
1994 Explorer transmission problem

Hi,

The line that was damaged was only damaged at the end that went into the transmission and I could not get the other side off so I spliced it. The balance of the rubber line seemed to be in good shape. The end that I could not get off was somehow attached to a metal bracket. It seemed to end there but I didn't spend much time under the truck and will need to take a closer look. I also need to be sure that we are talking about the same vacuum line. I'll let you know what I find when I get back under there.

Thanks,

Old 10-02-07, 03:59 AM
F
Smile 1994 Explorer transmission problem

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the help.

I did locate a second hose that was not properly seated and leaking vacuum.

It's running fine again.

Thanks,

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: