main break lights do not work, third (middle) does?

Old 10-01-07, 06:18 PM

It is on a 1994 ford ranger. I tried to get it inspected today and they told me it's stoplights were out. I don't know how long they've been out (scary). I bought a new switch but it did not fix it. I checked the fuse (looked fine), I checked the bulbs (filaments all in tact) night driving lights burn with headlights on (break lights do not). Third break light was burnt out, I got a new one and it is now the only lights that comes on when break is pressed (so I'm thinking the switch was good after all)
guy at part store said it might be a turn signal relay, I'm not sure that would have any effect on the breaks??
maybe a bad ground, but if so would the night filaments burn in the bulb ok(the upper filament), but not the thicker lower one.
thanks for any help.

Last edited by sjharwick; 10-01-07 at 06:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-07, 07:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cheapest and easiest route would be to change both brakelight bulbs and inspect the sockets.

Old 10-02-07, 05:25 PM
Check and see if the turn signals and hazards work. If not, I would suspect the turn signal switch as the culprit.

Old 10-02-07, 06:58 PM
It was burned out bulbs (all three were burnt). It was late evening when I had pulled them and only thought I'd seen good filaments. today under better light I seen a very small space in the wire. thanks, I wonder if the part store will take back the switch?