Outer CV joint removal

Old 10-06-07, 11:29 PM
Outer CV joint removal

2000 Chevy Metro. The boot is split so I wanted to remove it in order to install a new boot but the clip that is supposed to be there (according to the factory manual) is not there.

Is it held by a hidden inner clip and does the joint have to be hammered off the shaft. At the moment I cannot figure out how to remove the joint.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-07, 12:11 PM
It's probably like a Geo Prism/Chevy Prism. It's held internally by a round spring clip that locks the CV shaft into the case.

There is no access to it, you have to pry the shaft outward until the clip compresses and the shaft comes out of the case. I've used everything, but a wrecking bar (tool gwhiz108) seems to work best. I've heard of some success with a slide hammer rented from an auto supply.

The bottom line is you have to pull or pry on it until it comes out. Keep in mind you can't pull on the outer end of the shaft - all you'll do is separate the CV joint. When you reinstall put the spring clip on the shaft in the groove and it will pop right into place for you.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Old 10-07-07, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the reply. I got it done this morning and as you say there is a clip behind holding it in place. I hammered the joint out using a brass hammer to prevent damage to the cage.

I did try prying but I do not have a setup where I could hold the shaft with sufficient force to allow this.