Converting Chevy Astro airconditioner from R12 to R134a

Old 10-07-07, 12:01 AM
Converting Chevy Astro airconditioner from R12 to R134a

What are the steps and costs of converting the air conditioner from R12 to R134a? Where can I get a mechanic to do the work and App. Costs?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-07, 08:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Any mechanic that does A/C work can probably do this.

Usually require the replacement of:

Compressor (sometimes)

Seals

Orifice tube

Pressure switches

Inlet connectors

and possibly the dryer among other things

A typical conversion done correctly costs anywhere from $400-1500

Old 10-07-07, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by Haden Woods View Post
What are the steps and costs of converting the air conditioner from R12 to R134a? Where can I get a mechanic to do the work and App. Costs?

I am an A/C mechanic. He is correct that if you wish to do it properly it get very expensive. Possible even more than that $400-500 range. I've converted many cars to R134a but i wouldnt reccomend anyone to do it again because the same thing always happens to every person, they will come back in about a month or so and say "hey! my a/c is not working anymore what did you do?".. This is because the airconditioning lines that are made for R-12 DO NOT WORK WITH R-134A the molecules of R-134a are smaller than the molecules of R-12 so in time the WILL leak out of the R-12 hoses. you would need to replace almost your entire system to make it work properly. IMO, there is a new type of freon out, called FREEZE12, I would put this in your R-12 system. It's worked for me everytime with no complaints. it does require a special fitting to tap teh cans but its all worth it.. I'm a big mazda RX-7 fan and unfortunatly for me they are all R-12 setups but this FREEZE12 works everytime!

Search this Thread