car takes longer to start when hot

Old 10-07-07, 04:30 PM
car takes longer to start when hot

91 olds cutlass

while normally it takes 1 turn of the key to get to start if its been drvin for a while or is hot or on a slight angle it will take a couple turns to get it to fire any suggestions. also the fuel gage moves up and down when you brake and speed up but gives the correct reading once you come to a stop. is that normal. could this be the hard start reason

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-07, 09:25 AM
The gage issue is most likely normal. Since it actually shows the correct fuel level when stopped. It is called a float for that reason.
It sounds like you may have a fuel pressure regulator issue, or even a fuel pump. I dont have the info in front of me but the regulator on that car I believe is on the fuel rail if it is fuel injected. If it is carbureted then the regulation is done by the carb and you could have a fuel pump that is not holding pressure or a float that is sticking in the carb.
Hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy

Old 10-26-07, 06:18 PM
well i smell gas after its been driven for awhile but i don't know if thats cause of the hole in the muffler. also after driving it a mile to a store and siting for 20 minutes it started right up but sounded rough till it warmed up a bit.do you thing its leaking fuel from the injecters into the engine causing flooding or is the pump on its way out. whoever had this car before me ran it into the ground.

Old 10-26-07, 06:42 PM
i agree gage is normal
I dont think the injectors are leaking i also would check the fuel regulator, pull the vacuum hose off and see if it has gas in it

Old 10-27-07, 08:14 PM
If you are smelling fuel after driving a short distance and you are having a rough idle on the restart, I would say that it is highly likely that you have a fuel injector leaking. Its probably leaking into the cylinder and maybe even past the o-ring as well, hence the reason for the odor.
If you cant visually see which one is leaking.... I have used the sniff test in the past. I just stick my nose near all of the injectors individually and see which one has the strongest odor. It has worked for me.
Good Luck,
Billy