Trailer Wiring

Old 10-08-07, 12:54 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Trailer Wiring

I just got an '05 Durango Limited with the Hemi - but no tow package. I would like to add a receiver hitch as well as wiring for a trailer. At this time I will only be pulling a small utility trailer, but would like to get a travel trailer in the near future. I think I can pick out a hitch on my own, but what should I do about the wiring for the trailer? Can I get something that can be installed by myself, or should I have a dealer do it?

By getting a simple do-it-yourself kind, am I risking damage to the electrical system? Or voiding any warranty? Any particular items you recommend? Looking for the best options and advice - thanks!!!

Old 10-08-07, 01:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wiring these is fairly simple. You will not void any type of warranty by doing so.

Wiring for your vehicle is easy as well because you just locate the rear wiring harness (typically under the rear bumper) and unplug the connector and splice in the new trailer T plug, usually no wire cutting, stripping, etc.

Harness:

http://www.etrailer.com/pc-VWH~118390.htm

Last edited by HotxxxxxxxOKC; 10-08-07 at 01:15 PM. Reason: added harness link
Old 10-09-07, 03:57 AM
Originally Posted by leted_82
I just got an '05 Durango Limited with the Hemi -!!!
I'd get the wiring harness at Dodge dealer and you can install it by yourself, it's very simple plug and play harness, don't forget there's a "trailer" fuse in fuse box under the hood.

Today cars/trucks (especially Dodge/Chrysler), I would NOT "cut and splice" ANY of aftermarket wires/electronics to the factory system, if I want to added something, either get a factory add-on or running a complete seperated system on aftermarket accessories.

Most of electrical system "input devices" are NOT running 12volt like they used to be, so be very careful when "cut and splice" to the factory wires.

Old 10-09-07, 05:08 AM
I agree with new guy about getting the correct wiring harness. IF you are looking at hauling something with electronic brakes then you will need a controller as well. The harness is already there under the dash and all you will need to do is wire your controller to you connector that is most likely in your dash... small bag with a blue connector and 4 wires then just plug it into your harness. At the back you should be able to disconnect the tail lamp harness and plug in a harness that has matching connectors. This type of option will not void any warranty, however if it is ever determined that an electrical problem is traced back to a faulty aftermarket accessory it will not be covered by your warranty.
Hoe this helps ya,
Billy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: