92 Toyota Pick-Up overheating & idle surging

Old 10-08-07, 07:35 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
92 Toyota Pick-Up overheating & idle surging

92 Toyota Pickup manual 4-speed 2.4 ltr. Water dissappearing, at first thought it was a leaking drain plug but replaced that and problem still there. Have replaced the radiator cap. Radiator is less than 5 yrs old. No apparent leaks I can find. Adding at least 1/2+ gal water every few days.

At times when I shut truck off I hear something like a scrubbing sound coming from under the hood for several seconds that fades out. I've heard same noise once or twice when driving, but not as good because of other road noise.

Not always, but at times when driving I feel a distinct surge in power, as if I was pressing the accelerator and letting off. Normal vehicles smoothly decrease in speed when letting off accelerator or when giving it gas, but mine sometimes abruptly slows and surges. Reminds me of driving a go-kart...that distinct connection between applying the gas and letting off. Same happens at times when at idle.

HELP!

Old 10-09-07, 07:08 PM
M
Received 34 Upvotes on 33 Posts
Head gasket is leaking. 22re is a good one for that. Aluminum head on a cast block.

With the radiator cap off (engine cold) run the engine until it warms up. You'll probably get bursts of bubbles from the compression leakage.

Don't try to run it that way.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: