transmission problem

Old 10-12-07, 09:38 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
transmission problem

question i have a 1988 dodge dakota 4x4 3.9 v6 automatic transmission my trans doesn't want to shift gears unless i take my foot off the gas..i saw i had a pan gasket leak so i changed the gasket and the filter. but when i looked in the pan there was what looked like some kind of broken gasket and the pan gasket wasn't broke. i cleaned it out finished installing the new filter and gasket. and it is still doesn't want to shift someone please help i'm going to loose my mind.

Old 10-13-07, 08:41 AM
M
Received 34 Upvotes on 33 Posts
In that year I would say vacuum modulator. It should be mounted on the side of the transmission with a vacuum line attached.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Old 10-13-07, 09:01 AM
B
either vacuum or a kickdown cable that is out of adjust would be my 2 things to check

Old 10-13-07, 09:38 PM
thanks

thanks for the advice i'll give it a try and let yall know if it worked. question what would the broken gasket have been from? i just got this truck a week ago so i don't know if it was just left in there from a different gasket or if it may be a something inside that broke. (i don't know anything about transmissions) thanks for the help i need it!

Old 10-14-07, 10:33 AM
M
Received 34 Upvotes on 33 Posts
Depending on what the gasket piece looked like.... if it was relatively thick or made of cork, it was probably a pan gasket either from when you removed the pan or from a previous installation. If it was a light gauge material it could have been from a filter mating surface.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Old 10-14-07, 09:40 PM
the gasket was a thin but wide, round gasket and didn't come from the filter or pan. is there any were other than that it could have come from? i've tryed to find the vacum modulator but i don't know what it looks like/is it inside or outside the transmission? thank you for the help.... (the trans doesn't want to shift up when i'm accelerating.) thanks again

Old 10-18-07, 07:55 AM
ok so i have tryed everything i can think of and the problem is still there.ithink its time i just took it to a transmission shop and get it rebuilt. does anyone know of a good shop for me to go to (in orlando florida)? thank you everybody for all the help...

Old 10-19-07, 11:24 AM
F
http://www.excellentautotransmissions.com/

Try this one. Tim is the owner and a great guy. He's done great for me more than once...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: