1995 buick

Old 10-19-07, 08:35 AM
1995 buick

i need help to figure out what the problem could be with my '95 buick century, when i got it the shifter was totally busted out of it but you could manually get the gear into forward if you hit the right spot but not reverse. i have replaced the whole steering column and now it does the same thing but it catches reverse sometimes but only when the front tires are off the ground. the shifter has to played with to get it into the right spot. when it gets put back in park and then try it again it wont catch any gear. it feels like the gear is in but it feels like it is being held back with the brake. its not the brakes, the calipers are fine, they release when they are suppose to. i was wondering if it is something with the differential or the cv joints. it doesnt feel like it could be the transmission because it will catch gear. the filter and fluid was changed and a new modulater was put on. also when the shifter is put in nuetral the car will not move by pushing it, it starts only in park and neutral the way it should.

can anybody help me?

thank you

Last edited by buick; 10-19-07 at 08:38 AM. Reason: forgot to add something
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-07, 09:10 AM
Perhaps shift linkage needs adjustment?:
http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/0f/42/7e/0900823d800f427e/repairInfoPages.htm'

Old 10-20-07, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by buick View Post
i need help to figure out what the problem could be with my '95 buick century, when i got it the shifter was totally busted out of it but you could manually get the gear into forward if you hit the right spot but not reverse. i have replaced the whole steering column and now it does the same thing but it catches reverse sometimes but only when the front tires are off the ground. the shifter has to played with to get it into the right spot. when it gets put back in park and then try it again it wont catch any gear. it feels like the gear is in but it feels like it is being held back with the brake. its not the brakes, the calipers are fine, they release when they are suppose to. i was wondering if it is something with the differential or the cv joints. it doesnt feel like it could be the transmission because it will catch gear. the filter and fluid was changed and a new modulater was put on. also when the shifter is put in nuetral the car will not move by pushing it, it starts only in park and neutral the way it should.

can anybody help me?

thank you

i adjusted the linkage on it and that is not the problem. i had disconnected the linkage and did i shifted it by hand at the transmission rod and it is still the same, when you put it in neutral it will not move even pushing it by hand. if you mess around with the rod it goes into neutral but when it gets put back into park its the same thing all over again, feels like something is holding it back. if i open the pan will i be able to see where the shifter rod hooks into the transmission? any suggestions would be appreciated. thank you,

Old 10-20-07, 07:08 PM
By dropping the trans pan, you will not see anything except the trans filter and accumulator covers. The side cover and valve body need to come out to gain access to the gear selector.

Old 10-21-07, 07:46 AM
Originally Posted by Mr. Dummas View Post
By dropping the trans pan, you will not see anything except the trans filter and accumulator covers. The side cover and valve body need to come out to gain access to the gear selector.

Thank you for your response. Is there a way to remove the side cover and valve body while the transmission is still in the car? I appreciate all your help.

Old 10-21-07, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by buick View Post

can anybody help me?

thank you
i was messing around with the shifter and i found that if i put it in neutral and revved the engine a bit and then stop and then drop the shifter into drive it would catch the gear. i was doing this for awhile and then i tried in the opposite direction and tried it in reverse but that gear would not catch. when i tried reverse and it didnt work i tried to go back to neutral and drive and it wouldnt catch gear again i revved the engine a bit more. after a few times it would catch again but only the forward gears and not reverse. i'm getting frustrated because i cant find the problem. any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you

Old 10-21-07, 02:39 PM
You have to support the engine from above, unbolt the steering gear from the engine cradle, remove the ball joint from the driver's side knuckle, remove the driver's side cradle bolts, and maybe even the pass side too to drop the cradle down far enough. Then you have to lower the engine down enough to get the cover off. This car may have a 2 piece cradle to make things easier, but most of the time, these bolts are damn near imposible to get out without heating them red hot with a torch. I would definately get a manual if I was you, alot of things could be misplaced upon reassembly resulting in more problems.

Or, you could get a used transmission for around $300 or so and just replace it.

Old 10-22-07, 08:48 AM
Originally Posted by Mr. Dummas View Post
You have to support the engine from above, unbolt the steering gear from the engine cradle, remove the ball joint from the driver's side knuckle, remove the driver's side cradle bolts, and maybe even the pass side too to drop the cradle down far enough. Then you have to lower the engine down enough to get the cover off. This car may have a 2 piece cradle to make things easier, but most of the time, these bolts are damn near imposible to get out without heating them red hot with a torch. I would definately get a manual if I was you, alot of things could be misplaced upon reassembly resulting in more problems.

Or, you could get a used transmission for around $300 or so and just replace it.

thank you for the informtion and the suggestions i appreciate all your help

Search this Thread