97 Camaro popping sound

Old 10-19-07, 01:28 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
97 Camaro popping sound

I have a '97 Camaro RS V6. When I drive the car it veers to the left, likewise whenever I steer left or right there is a popping sound that comes from the front driver side wheel area. Any ideas what this could be and how serious.

Old 10-19-07, 02:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If it's veering like that, it sounds like a busted tie rod. I would look at that first, then we can go from there.

Old 10-19-07, 02:43 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately i dont much about cars. Is that a big job? what should I be looking for?

Old 10-19-07, 04:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Eeek. Tie-rods are what they sound like. They are rods (2) that connect your steering to your wheels. If one ends up actually breaking, it probably will cause serious damage and possible car wreck.

If you are unfamiliar with how to replace these, which sounds like you are, I would have a mechanic look at it.

It may not even be the rods. You can do a fairly simple test by jacking your front end up so your front tires are off the ground, and then grasp the tire that's on the side in question, and push and pull at the 9 & 3 oclock positions. The tire should not budge, if it does, the tie-rods need changing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: