heater core blocked

Old 10-21-07, 06:23 PM
heater core blocked

Just wanted to share a little trick I tried that worked out well - My wife's '90 Plymouth Grand Voyager quit making heat in front; rear heater still worked fine. After some investigative work, I found the front heater to be plugged internally. Since we live in an area of moderately hard water, and moved the van here from a similar area, I thought lime buildup might be the problem. After pulling the hoses off the heater core, I tried to pass low-pressure air through it without success. With a turkey baster, I sucked as much old water as I could out of the core, then poured in some of one of the store-bought Calcium, Lime and Rust dissolvers. The first warm-water back-flush and low pressure purge produced flow, although not spectacular. The water was carrying all manner of ick out of the core on its way out. A few more applications of the dissolver and more flush-and-purges, though, and I was getting reasonably clear water through the core at pretty good pressure/volume. All back together, the heat returned! I plan to follow this up with a legitimate cooling system flush and refill, but for now this seems to have spared me the expense and trouble of a heater core swap. Hope this helps someone. - Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-07, 06:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Good fix. I usually tell people to disconnec those two hoses and stick a garden hose in one end and flush the core out. Once that's done, I have them pour in distilled water to clean it out. Regular water has a corrosive effect over time, that's why I have people pour in the distilled.

Old 10-22-07, 04:45 AM
I would have preferred the garden hose route, but right now both of my outside hose bibbs flood the inside of the house when I turn them on. I'm pretty sure there's some blockage in the core, but I plan to repeat the back-flush after running some cooling system flush through, then change the anti-freeze.

Search this Thread