2yr old jeep battery dead (sits a lot)

Reply

  #1  
Old 11-01-07, 01:18 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2yr old jeep battery dead (sits a lot)

I'm trying to charge battery, using an older Schumacher 2/6 amp charger that I just charged a riding mower battery with;12 volt/2amp. When using it on 12 volt/6 amps it stays at zero and hums. Called Schumaker tech...they think the battery may be (sulfide?) coated. He said to charge for 3 hrs and see if it moves off of zero. He also cautioned of possible explosion! Any suggestions??
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 11-01-07, 03:26 PM
HotxxxxxxxOKC's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 8,044
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Get a new battery......
 
  #3  
Old 11-01-07, 03:45 PM
core's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 1,127
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yay, a battery question! My specialty.

By the way it's lead sulfate they were talking about. This builds up on the plates when you let the battery sit around in a discharged state.

Do you have a multimeter/voltmeter? What is the voltage reading on the battery? To measure this you need to take it off the charger and let it sit for a half hour or so. A much longer resting period would be required for an accurate reading but I'm just looking for a ballpark figure.

What I'm trying to determine is how "dead" this battery really is.

Also, is this 6/2 amp charger the only one you have? Your options are quite limited if so.

Is this a maintenance free battery, or do you have caps that you can open to examine the battery? If so, open it up and make sure there is enough electrolyte in there to cover the plates. Add distilled water if necessary. [This is, among other things, to prevent an internal explosion.]

If this is a sealed battery then yes you do need to be a bit more careful, but I think they were being overly cautious. In general assuming your water level is ok the danger of explosion comes primarily from the hydrogen gas that forms when you are charging the battery. So no smoking, flame, or sparks near the battery. When removing the clips make sure the charger is first unplugged to avoid sparks.

After getting back to me on the voltage and type of battery, yeah stick it back on the charger for several hours. Monitor the battery temperature. If it starts to get quite warm turn off the charger for a bit.

-core
 
  #4  
Old 11-01-07, 04:18 PM
core's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 1,127
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Forgot one thing: Is the battery case bulging at all?
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: