how do you reset the service engine soon light??

Old 11-01-07, 05:48 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question how do you reset the service engine soon light??

On a 96 pontiac trans sport???

Old 11-01-07, 07:16 AM
M
Received 34 Upvotes on 33 Posts
Assuming you've fixed the problem that triggered it in the first place, just disconnect the battery positive cable for a couple of minutes then hook it back up.

You can also have those codes cleared off at Autozone Auto Parts.

Old 11-01-07, 07:44 AM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by marbobj
Assuming you've fixed the problem that triggered it in the first place, just disconnect the battery positive cable for a couple of minutes then hook it back up.

You can also have those codes cleared off at Autozone Auto Parts.
If you are going to disconnect a battery cable, disconnect the Negative cable. No sparks that way.

Old 11-01-07, 09:37 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Check the owners manual... there is usually a reset switch under the hood that requires pressing for a set amount of time to reset the oil change timer (assuming that's what the "Service Engine" signal is for)

Old 11-01-07, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by SLJ2137694
If you are going to disconnect a battery cable, disconnect the Negative cable. No sparks that way.
There are going to be small sparks either way. The rationale behind disconnecting the negative cable first is so in the unlikely event that your wrench happens to touch anything metal in the engine compartment you don't cause a short.

-core

Old 11-01-07, 03:51 PM
S
Originally Posted by core
There are going to be small sparks either way. The rationale behind disconnecting the negative cable first is so in the unlikely event that your wrench happens to touch anything metal in the engine compartment you don't cause a short.

-core
What do you think I was talking about? The tiny little sparks or hundreds of amps of current grounding out!!! DAH!!!

Old 11-01-07, 03:55 PM
I cannot know what you were thinking, I can only know what you said. You said no sparks and this is incorrect.

Old 11-01-07, 04:04 PM
S
I will choose my words more carefully next time. The important thing was to disconnect the negative cable and that tiny little spark wouldn't hurt anything as opposed to grounding out your wrench while on the positive cable and the damage that hundreds of amps of current can do.

Old 11-01-07, 05:11 PM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If it is the equivalent of a check engine light and you have fixed the problem, usually 3 cycles will clear the code. 1 cycle = cold start -> hot -> cool off. If it is a maintenance light, e.g. change your oil then there will be a method to reset it. I know that GM used this sequence on late 90's / early 2000's: Key on engine off, depresses the gas pedal to the floor (all the way) 5 times in 10 seconds (not sure about the time, I always did it at a fairly quick speed and never had a problem). Leave the key in the on position and you should see the indicator start flashing. If it is the maintenance light, this might work. As I said earlier, I am not sure when GM starting using this sequence. -Got a few years at a quick oil change place...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: