Make repairs before trading in car??

Old 11-07-07, 09:19 AM
Make repairs before trading in car??

Planning on purchasing a new car and will most likely trade in my 2001 Nissan Maxima SE 5-speed with 170K miles. Dilemna is whether to make repairs (hoping to get money back in trade in) or just take a hosing at the dealer.

- Check engine light is on - Have the O2 Sensor, just need to replace it.
- Windshield was repaired 4 months ago, was ok until last week when the crack spread the entire length of windshield.
- Tires are in need of replacement (really low tread)
- brakes are making horrific noises.

Talking about $1200 + in repairs, figure I could get maybe 5k for my car in good shape from the dealer.

Any suggestions??

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-07, 09:30 AM
Guessing you are not doing the labor on the O2 or the brakes(1200 seems high for the work involved)? How much are the brakes running you? Im guessing all new pads and rotors all the way around. At the very least do the O2 sensor...take it to a dealer you are not planning on buying a car from and have them give you a trade in price with the other repairs still needing to be addressed. if it is signifigantly lower than 5000 and makes sense, I would do the repairs to up the value.

Old 11-07-07, 10:37 AM
No offense, but I don't think a dealer will give you any where near 5k for that car, even with the problems fixed.

They will most likely just send it to auction, where it is likely to bring 3-4k.

Last edited by twelvepole; 11-07-07 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Quote removed. It is not necessary to quote entire post to reply.
Old 11-07-07, 11:12 AM
I that that too but KBB is saying like 4500 in fair to 6000 in exc for trade in value....

Old 11-07-07, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by chrisl285 View Post
I that that too but KBB is saying like 4500 in fair to 6000 in exc for trade in value....
Unfortunately dealerships rarely pay any attention to these numbers. They are more likely to focus on local wholesale auction prices, which are considerably lower than KBB values.

Your best bet would be to sell the car outright using Autotrader, Ebay, Cars.com or local advertising. An 01 Maxima would make a great X-Mas gift for a high school/college student. If you decide to go that route, I would probably make the necessary repairs.

Also, check with your insurance company about the windshield. Although it varies by state, most state laws require insurance companies to replace windshield glass w/ no deductible (assuming you have full coverage/collision insurance).

Hope that helps you to do decide to do the repairs or not...I know it is not exactly what you would want to hear.

Old 11-08-07, 08:27 AM
I KNOW I would never get 5K from the dealer, they would prob. offer me 2k, or maybe 3k if all of the repairs I mentioned are done. I could prob get 5k privately if I make all the repairs.

I will be putting tires on the car, it's now a safety issue, and unless I buy a car before the rainshower, I need tires. Will also be attempting the O2 sensor myself, had trouble removing the heatshield last time around.

In NJ the windshield goes through the deductible. Insurance company will REPAIR the windshield at no cost to me, which I had done when the crack was less than 1" long. That's supposed to prevent the crack from spreading, and it worked for 2 months, so now I need a new windshield, and my deductible is prob. 500, so it's all out of pocket for me - aprox $250